Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A/C Upgrade Project Completed. It works! (long w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice job on the A/C! I like the fact there was no modification to the car. I have done a few upgrades on 930's and used a different EVAP along with the Pro-cooler and put a fan on the rear condenser. I think the fan is a must in stop a go traffic. It keeps the vent temps from creeping up while at a stop light. Usually, I would see about a 5-7 degree rise in temp while idleing at a light. With the fan on it was cut down to 1-2 degree rise. I could get the vent temps low enough to cycle the A/C clutch with that set up. Having said that I think your set up might even be a bit better. I have been searching for a way to increase the volume of air coming out of the vents. I think that is one of the major downsides that need to be addressed. It looks like you might have a solution with the bigger EVAP fan. I am very curious to know how much that improves the flow. I have used the vent kit that you put on the bulk head below the dash and it is an improvement but still needs more. Also, I am curious to know what your thoughts are on the solid line that you installed on the rear condensor. How is the flex when you close the deck lid? Again, that looks like a fabulous job and I hope it works great for you!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
If you ever need to install a cond fan you can do it without altering any of the car. Mine uses four black nylon connectors that pass through the top of the cond and go through the cond to the four holes on the fan. Then you push four black plastic washer type clips on the shafts and cut off the excess. They are not visible from the outside. As far as electrical hookup, you can use the A/C clutch wire connector and add an extra terminal, (no cutting) and do it like you did up front and put in a relay to operate the fan.
Porsche MD. I'll be damned if I can find any reference to a larger evap fan in the A/C write up. Can you tell me anything about it? Also, I'm still trying to find an electrical connector pin removal tool. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911rudy, you are correct. When I was reading the thread I went to the link provided and found the larger evep fan there. I guess I had it in my head he used it as well. The advertisement says it increases the cfm's by 50%. http://retroair.com
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jastx: Very impressive write-up. Just wondering how were your costs of development and installation in comaprison to whats available at www.rennaire.com and www.griffiths.com?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

canysmc,

At this point you just have to go to Retroair, Griffiths, and Rennaire and compare their offerings and pricing. They all have different approaches and pricing -- kind like buying a mattress, hard to really compare. You have to decide what is best for you. I used Retroair because was near me and his approach was basic -- using the same parts but much higher efficiency, appealing to my keep it stock attitude -- and he was cost-effective.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMD
I have used the vent kit that you put on the bulk head below the dash and it is an improvement but still needs more. Also, I am curious to know what your thoughts are on the solid line that you installed on the rear condensor. How is the flex when you close the deck lid? Again, that looks like a fabulous job and I hope it works great for you!
Thanks PorscheMD.

The vent below the dash came with the Retroair kit but I wound up removing it and just letting the cool air blow undirected from the bulkhead vent, cooling the area by your legs.

The hard line to the rear condenser was how Porsche did it on the '89 Turbos. It's hard line to just beyond the deck hinge, then it turns into hose. I was determined to match that with my installation 1) to keep the stock look and 2) because clearance was definitely an issue trying to make just hose work like on previous year cars. I found a company to make up the tubing to match a sample I created with solid bar then worked with me to get it to fit just right. It's all on computer now so they can spit one out in about thirty seconds and is part of Retroair's kit.

BTW, I have no association with Retroair. The owner worked with me and I with him to make this kit for the turbo --- I needed the kit, he needed the car. As I stated in my write up, I saved a few bucks because of the development work I did. That's it. I am pleased with the results and now consider Rock (Retroair owner) a friend, but we have no business relationship. Just wanted to make that clear in case anyone was wondering.

Quick Reply: A/C Upgrade Project Completed. It works! (long w/pics)