911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 CIS Issue - Low Idle and Hard Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good to hear! Have a good weekend with that thing Tripster.

Happy St. Patty's day to all!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Chet 930
Racer

It just hit me what your "pop" deal might be......the factory turbo cars have a ignition delay relay built in to the ignition switch wiring. The "delay relay" is in the engine compartment where the red relay would be. Its a little square silver box looking thing. When shutting the ignition switch off, the system shuts the fuel pumps off first to burn off remaining fuel in the cylinders so as to eliminate any possible back firing on start up (as stated in my factory manual. They probably mean on shut down too). Then the CDI is shut off. There is a 2 or 3 second delay from fuel pumps to CDI being shut down. Sometimes turbo owners think thier motors are running on when this is normal for the turbo cars only. Did you add the relay? I'm not 100% sure this is your problem but its worth a check..........
Old 03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

No, that relay was not added. I do not have it on my car and it does not backfire. Interesting to note that the backfires occur when the CO is adjusted down to acceptable limits. The engine did not "pop" when it was running rich. We didn't have time to adjust the CO up to the "no pop threshold". I think it will calm down a bit as he drives it. My car always fussed for a time after the mixture was adjusted. After a hard drive it would run as expected.
One unknown is the affect the exhaust system might have. My car has a stock muffler. This car has a very non-restrictive Magnaflow, barbles a bunch off throttle.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:40 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I was thinking that too Chet.

When I first got my car I noticed how strange it seemed when shutting it off.

Tripster, I would get this feature to work on your car.
When you switch off the ignition, the fuel pumps turn off, the ignition carrys on for 2 or 3 seconds. The engine cuts out due to there being no fuel to ignite.

Also as Stephen said, make sure you have the fuel accumalator (looks similair to the fuel filter and sits next to it).
Old 03-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Tripster
Instructor

Fuel accumalator is there, I had mentioned before that I needed to wire it up so the pumps died before the engine, I will look into that to see how it can be done, Any sugestions?
The other problem I have with it is yesterday when I got home form work I pulled the car into my shop, opened both bay doors to check the timing again. And again, after 3 min's of standing behind the car my eyes burnt so bad I had to cut the engine and walk out. When I walked into the house my wife threw me out said I"RANK",,,,,,lol.
Heres what I think,
1. Bring up the control Pressure to mid specs - then set the CO again maybe it will run @ 3% not 5.5
2. Rewire the fuel pumps to die before the motor - maybe it will not fire off a pop that will make an old lady have a heart attack in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Input is appeciated. Mark
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Tripster
Instructor

This weekend I modified my WUR, and after adjusting the pin out a hair, car seems to run better already. I am going to set the control pressure again and then the CO, after that I hope to be where I should be. After PorscheMD and PorschePHD telling me that the control pressure was too low even tho it showed slightly in Spec, I could not resist.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 930 CIS Issue - Low Idle and Hard Cold Start