911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

First 2 months of ownership....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:11 AM
diabolos88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 2 months of ownership....

well after just 2 month's of ownership, my '88 930 is hurting. As I want to track my car at some point, I believe in the "drive the car to get to know its limits" mentality and I have put on about 2800 miles of pretty hard driving. But it seems that my engine did not like it very much and was revving kind of high at idle after about the 2780th or so mile, revving between 2500k-3k rpm in between shifts and at stoplights. I took it right away to an indy P-car shop and they said it was the relays and they ended up doing some soldering on one of the relays up front as well and then in addition adjusted the CO.

Well needless to say, the car really runs ****ty now, and does not idle smoothly like before when I first bought it. It doesn't rev high anymore but it does not idle smooth either plus I have to keep blipping the gaspedal to keep it from going sub 500RPM and then dying out. It also is now coughing up smoke when I pull away. And when I come to a stop, the rpm's go way too low causing the engine to sputter as it struggles to stay alive. The engine light then flickers on the dash and then the engine dies, but only after about ten trillion clouds of smoke puffs out from my exhaust. So for now the 930 will remain garaged until I can figure out what is going on with the engine.

any helpful info would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Wish I knew enough to guess. Sorry to hear about the problems. What does your shop say?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Hate to sound like a preacher....but I believe your car was a little suspect prior to purchase. Did you do a full engine "health" check prior to driving it hard, normal things - compression \ leak down blah blah? Have you pulled each plug and examined them?

How much boost are you running?

Smoke sound like a turbo on its last legs, pull the intake tract hoses and see if there is oil in there.

If I took my car to shop and they said that "my car was running crap due to relays and started soldering the relays"....I would run....fast....VERY fast....

You need common sense to own these cars from my experience and if you are not a good home wrench, having lot of liquid funds is necessary to pay a good mechanic is required.

Sorry to hear your troubles and good luck.
Yasin
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
jalexand
Advanced

Default Similar problems on my '79

Read your post as I also am a new owner of a '79 930 which is exhibiting very similar problems related to the idle and rev problem between ****s. (read my posted threads over the last 10 days on new ownership and AAR valve problems). I have been led to believe that the problems stem somewhere in the Vacuum Air system between the AAR valve and the Decel valve or possibly a vacuum leak in the system. I am currently trying to trace down the problem.

Since I live near Indy (Terre Haute) I am wondering where you took the car? I did a google search for Porsche service in the Indy area and only came up with Tom Wood Porsche Audi? A friend of mine who used to live in this area and is a Porsche owner as well just told me of a guy by the name of Farmer over in Greenwood who is supposed to be really good with these cars and I am trying to get more info on him.

jim
Old 03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
diabolos88
Racer

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Hate to sound like a preacher....but I believe your car was a little suspect prior to purchase. Did you do a full engine "health" check prior to driving it hard, normal things - compression \ leak down blah blah? Have you pulled each plug and examined them?

Yasin
I hear you Yasin, but the car was checked prior to purchase and had good leakdown and comp #'s while hot and also had her checked by a Porsche mechanic when I got her home cuz alot of you rennguys on here gave me hell on my first post.
It was running like a charm the whole time I put those miles on. Its just that I think I might have over done it and for too many miles.
Turbo on its last leg might be it. I am running 1bar which is not bad. Was thinking the shop should have just replaced the relays instead of soldering them. I never heard of soldering relays.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
diabolos88
Racer

Originally Posted by jalexand
Read your post as I also am a new owner of a '79 930 which is exhibiting very similar problems related to the idle and rev problem between ****s. (read my posted threads over the last 10 days on new ownership and AAR valve problems). I have been led to believe that the problems stem somewhere in the Vacuum Air system between the AAR valve and the Decel valve or possibly a vacuum leak in the system. I am currently trying to trace down the problem.

Since I live near Indy (Terre Haute) I am wondering where you took the car? I did a google search for Porsche service in the Indy area and only came up with Tom Wood Porsche Audi? A friend of mine who used to live in this area and is a Porsche owner as well just told me of a guy by the name of Farmer over in Greenwood who is supposed to be really good with these cars and I am trying to get more info on him.

jim
I took the car to www.midwestperformancecars.com
a new outift in downtown Chicago, less than 3wks new.
They specialize in 930's, from what I saw in their shop the proprietors race their own 930s. They have about a dozen different 930s in their shop. I checked the owners out and found out they were in business separately as two different Porsche shops and just recently joined together.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I dont know about a relay and why they needed to solder, but it sounds like you have fuel pressure issues. Your symptoms sound like a warm up regulator thats gone bad. Hard to tell without being there in person but the symptoms sound familiar. The other thing it could be is a CO adjustment thats way off. Get the fuel pressures in the CIS system measured Cold and Hot. This will be a good place to start.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like too rich a mixture. Have the CIS control pressures checked. It could point to a Warm-Up Regulator malfunction.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Diablo, I feel you pain, I watched as you were looking for this car and then found it and asked for advice from the forum and did about as much as you could do.. hope it works out ok. cnm
Old 03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
diabolos88
Racer

Originally Posted by Chet 930
I dont know about a relay and why they needed to solder, but it sounds like you have fuel pressure issues. Your symptoms sound like a warm up regulator thats gone bad. Hard to tell without being there in person but the symptoms sound familiar. The other thing it could be is a CO adjustment thats way off. Get the fuel pressures in the CIS system measured Cold and Hot. This will be a good place to start.
I think your idea of CO being misadjusted might be correct. I'm going to see if I can get the CIS measured. How can I do this myself, is there a special tool I can pick up?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
diabolos88
Racer

Originally Posted by catnmouse
Diablo, I feel you pain, I watched as you were looking for this car and then found it and asked for advice from the forum and did about as much as you could do.. hope it works out ok. cnm
As much as I could was not enough obviously! go figure...
I am going to go back to school and become a friggin mechanic pretty soon!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

Blue smoke or black?

If it's black smoke, you're running excessively rich, which can also wash down the cylinders with raw fuel and possibly damage them. Running that rich can also dump plenty of fuel into the oil past the rings.

As Chet and WERK-I said, get it to a different shop and get the control pressures checked, then the CO. Could be a bad adjustment, faulty WUR, stuck piston in the fuel head, etc. Ignore the flashing lights, anytime the idle goes below about 600 this will happen. Once you get your mixture correct, the idle should stabilize.

And change the oil, just in case

Win
Old 03-03-2006, 08:15 PM
diabolos88
Racer

its black smoke, and it runs rough as hell too.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
senna21
Racer

You're running rich. You could pull your plugs to verify. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...000&country=US

Then go to page 4.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 PM
diabolos88
Racer

well if thats not my only trouble, now my clutch is slipping too!

Quick Reply: First 2 months of ownership....