911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Muffler leads to...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Muffler leads to...?

So I decided to prep my car (remove exhaust wrap / clean / inspect) to make it easier for the kind folks over @ Grand Muffler to fab up my new setup to replace the horrid B&B. Well, I got to thinking and sooner than later I reinstalled my rear bumper sans, well, everything! (but the license plate / frame)

Does anyonw know if I can buy a "kit" to allow my bumper to bolt on from the back using studs on the inside to hide the 4 nuts/washers and penetrating studs? If so, I can easily have a body shop weld up the misc holes, prime and repaint the bumper to keep everything looking clean. I think this looks a hell of alot better than the Euro thin bumper pads and funny reflectors in the rubber trim strips and the ET fog light... Now if I could just find someone with amazing english wheel skills to make some aluminium sheet metal replacements for the rubber bumper accordians...

Thoughts?
E-man930
Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for pics of Shockms car. He had all his holes welded up and sanded smooth. The the studs on the rear shock mounts were knocked out and stainless steel carraige bolts were used to reinstall it.

I took the easy way and Bondoed my holes.

If I have pics, I'll post them.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2006, 11:22 PM
E-man930
Banned

Thanks for posting that pic.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to "crack" and strip the rear bumper. Post some pics of your car's rear if you have time.
I 'm going to go a similar route but I do not want the bumper to have any visible indication of how it's attached. I think I have just weld up some aluminium studs on the inside of the bumper to acheive a "clean" look.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:04 PM
87turbo930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just do the same thing as a930rocket but just weld the carriage bolts to the bumper then grind the head off smooth. Ive seen people do that before on older trucks and things like that. Ive been thinking about the same thing since I took the bumper off of my car the other day.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:40 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Look for pics of Shockms car. He had all his holes welded up and sanded smooth. The the studs on the rear shock mounts were knocked out and stainless steel carraige bolts were used to reinstall it.

I took the easy way and Bondoed my holes.

If I have pics, I'll post them.
GAWD D@MN!!! I love that car (A930Rocket)! SEX ON WHEELZ!!! I've removed my lower valance also, and am running a straight pipe off of the turbo! I can't wait to get mine back on the road! I can't wait to hear it in the parking garage at my office.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:12 PM
E-man930
Banned

87turbo930,
The bumper is aluminium, I'm having trouble finding aluminium bolts to use as a starting point.

sand_man,
Your comment mad me laugh out loud. I remember taking my car downtown and parking in the corporate parking garage. Man, I set off like 30 car alarms. It was great! I can't wait for my new muffler setup this Tuesday!
E-man930
Old 03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E-man930
87turbo930,
The bumper is aluminium, I'm having trouble finding aluminium bolts to use as a starting point.

sand_man,
Your comment mad me laugh out loud. I remember taking my car downtown and parking in the corporate parking garage. Man, I set off like 30 car alarms. It was great! I can't wait for my new muffler setup this Tuesday!
E-man930
HAHAHA! Yes, even with the B&B single-out that I originally had (with B&B headers) mine would do the same! I LUV DOING THAT!!!! Once I get mine back on the road I can't wait until I have to go pick up some holy roller big wig executive from the airport...did I mention that I've also removed the A/C??!! "Sure climb on in Jodey...nope I don't think we have room for your Louis Vitton Steamer Trunk! HAHAHAHA!"
Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get aluminum studs and bolts from Mcmaster Carr. but I think Carriage bolts ground smooth and painted to match would also look good and would be a lot stronger.

Quick Reply: Muffler leads to...?