Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Is Electromotive XDi fine for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Electromotive XDi fine for me?

I'm just about ready to order the parts for my twin plug ignition. To keep things simple I was planning on running the popular Electromitive XDi system from Clewett. Keeping in mind that right now, CIS will need to be my friend for a while, is this a sufficient setup for my street engine? Speak now or forever hold your tongues. I'm sure there are better, more exotic systems, but I like the support and safety in numbers thing. Seems to be a lot of these out there. I don't really want to re-invent the wheel.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:09 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weakest part of the CIS is the inability to control spark. The XDi is a good unit since you can control the advance by rpm and manifold pressure. This is extremely helpful in setting the correct timing. The XDi installation is pretty straight up and service from Clewett is top notch. This is a nice upgrade for you.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:31 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

I have a early model Electromotive HPX single plug crank fire igniton and like the fact that is easy to set timing. Iv'e heard that one of the weak points is the way the aluminum pulley is attached to the crank with a single dowel. Something about it not holding up to the torque the A/C compressor puts on it, but Iv'e not had any problems yet
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a few other folks recommend the XDI also. ....maybe next year for me. those twin plugs are just plugging the hole now...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

I have used the elctromotive stuff several times. I think you will be fine. Make sure you get a high quality plug wire like the Magnacore or you will have intermitten misefires at idle

Quick Reply: Is Electromotive XDi fine for me?