911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 vs 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
See if its even still drivable, much less reliable.
My first car was a 1981 280ZX that my father bought brand new. It was still running strong & required minimal maintenance when I got rid of it a few years ago...in fact, there are days that I wish I still owned it...

HOWVER, I agree, it is NOT a Porsche!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Stillen twin turbo that I bought in 1997 after totalling my 993tt and i was sorely disappointed especially by the brakes. I also burned through 2 clutches with 24k miles with mild track use. NOT MY CUP OF TEA
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
chc,

For starters, the 930 isn't a modern car. It's an old car with old car characteristics and old car character. That's its charm and, depending how you use it, its disadvantage.

If you're thinking of buying a 350Z for your daily car -- to use for everything, all kinds of weather, etc. -- overall it will be superior to the 930 for that purpose. It will probably have warranty for one thing, but will start, idle, run under any conditions, will keep you comfortable in cold or heat and will sit in traffic all day without complaint like a Toyota or any moder car. It will even feel good to drive on the street from what I've read. I'm not sure what the horsepower is but I bet it's more than the 282 of a stock '89 930 like mine (930 torque probably better) so its performance won't be bad either.

I love my 930 for its character in all areas -- the way they built it, it's looks and sound and uniqueness -- and it feels great to drive for the pleasure drives I use it for. But for the everyday grind where the driving is bumper to bumper stop and go, crappy weather, heat (100 degree Dallas days) -- no way I'd consider this for an every day car. It would be uncomfortable as hell, and under those conditions would probably break, fall apart, leak water from the front and real windshields and rust in the windshield corners. The motor would probably need expensive work too as it would cook itself to death in this environment.

Modern cars have come a LONG way from the 70s and 80s in terms of being reliable, comfortable appliances that start and run and do everything without fuss under any conditions. I think we lose sight of that as we fantasize about the older cars we used to love. We imagine driving in these cool looking cars that drive like new ones but neater looking. I've owned a lot of older sports cars. They are wonderful but don't drive like new ones. A 930 isn't like a new 911 Turbo with different looks. It's an old, classic sports car, again it's charm and its disadvantage depending on why you want it. Just make your decision with your eyes wide open.

Your right on point with your comparison but the horsepower between the two are very close ( 350z at=287hp, 350z man=300hp..2006 model, previous model I believe were introduce at 280hp ). Just my .02c
Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Every 2XXZX Datsun/Nissan I ever saw that was over three years old in Florida was a rust bucket and the interior was rotted out of it. I would hope the 3XX series fixed that problem. It was especially prevalent around the front and rear windshield frames.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 PM
qrobinson
Track Day

I've owned both cars, 2003 350z and an ill-fated EFI-based 930. Apples to oranges to indeed so I won't compare, just offer some of my own impression of the 350z.

Great seat design but placement was not great in terms of visibility. Interior's cheapness wore on me after a while. Handled well, fairly fun. The power was lacking for me (this was before I drop the highly modified 930), dull powerband too. I believe some Grand Am racers had engine-dynoed 3 separate 350zs and all found it was well below the advertized 287 hp. I realize they are allowed some flexibility in this claim as a manufacturer, and temp conditions change alot. But this confirmed my suspicions so I ended up selling her rather quickly...

Quick Reply: 930 vs 350Z