911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fuel pump rewire....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pump rewire....

After reading HkPlinkers thread, I've decided I'm going to pursue rewiring my fuel pumps.

I've read the link to rewiring your fuel pumps, but I think I want to do it another way. I'll have all new wire, fuses, relays, etc. instead of relying on some old and new parts.

I'll wire the pumps straight to the battery, fused and with std available relays (cheaper and available everywhere). When I turn on the ignition, the pumps will turn on. I'll also be using a cut off motion switch, such as Ford uses, in case something happens (a wreck), the fuel to the motor will cut out.

No more metering plate switch, yellow relay, red relays, this, that and the other in hopes that they turn on....

Any thoughts?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with the meter plate switch method ?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Have you ever tried to replace the metering plate switch? You have to pull the plate housing apart to get to the nut holding it on.

Also, how many people incl myself have had to trace down problems with worn out/defective/old parts, etc so the car will start. This will allow the pumps to run on their own circuit and run cooler. It's like Lee Rice's but has all new wiring and eliminates some variables.

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Whats wrong with the meter plate switch method ?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:49 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I rewired my pumps, but for a different reason - EFI conversion. I have the TEC3r run the pumps. For your info, I have two 30amp relays wired directly to the battery. I also used 12awg wire from the relays to the pumps and kept the stock ground wires. Its easy to wire and the motion switch you mention is a great safety idea.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

EFI is down the road for me (I'm starting to collect parts now though). When it comes time to an engine rebuild, I'll do it.

Originally Posted by DonE
I rewired my pumps, but for a different reason - EFI conversion. I have the TEC3r run the pumps. For your info, I have two 30amp relays wired directly to the battery. I also used 12awg wire from the relays to the pumps and kept the stock ground wires. Its easy to wire and the motion switch you mention is a great safety idea.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 AM
mpladson
Advanced

I am interested in the parts list and how to pictures if anyone has documented this. I have some problems with the fuses on my BTR and replaced with inline fuses and some wiring. I would like to see it done right.

Mark Pladson
86 Ruf BTR

Quick Reply: Fuel pump rewire....