Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

"While You're In There..."

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005 | 10:03 AM
sand_man
Drifting

I'll post more pics later, but I got the heads, cam towers, and cylinders off. There were NO broken head studs or loose fasteners. Also, didn't notice any broken rings, cracked valve tops, cracked piston crowns or anything UGLY. In fact everything looks pretty good. I haven't split the cam towers from the heads yet, so who knows what we'll find there. Even if I don't find anything broken, I would still have had to do the rebuild for the simple fact that I can't handle all of the crazy oil leaks. I was embarrassed to show people my engine. Plus this gives me peace of mind and allows me to build a more robust engine with longevity.
Old 12-05-2005 | 08:23 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Don.

What's a good source for 964 cams? Web Cams is it?

I have CIS now, but I'm collecting the parts for EFI. That Brian Keith Smith is just smoking me on the track now! LOL

I should have said LOWER than 2nd gear or about 3000 rpms in very slow corners like Oak Tree.

Originally Posted by DonE
EFI - 964 cams (mild build) or EVO cams (heavily modified) or hybrid for very specific applications
CIS - 964 cams
Old 12-05-2005 | 10:32 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sand_man
[snip]
peace of mind and allows me to build a more robust engine with longevity.
Then sell the stock pistons and cylinders, and buy EBS's 3.4L kit that has 3.2L finned cylinders and JE pistons.
Old 12-05-2005 | 11:08 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Thanks Don.

What's a good source for 964 cams? Web Cams is it?

I have CIS now, but I'm collecting the parts for EFI. That Brian Keith Smith is just smoking me on the track now! LOL

I should have said LOWER than 2nd gear or about 3000 rpms in very slow corners like Oak Tree.
I REALLY like that track (full course). I instructed out there about 2 years ago - the 6 hour drive (one way) was worth every mile.

Before you make a definite decision, I would talk to Dougherty Racing Cams and give him exactly what you will end up with regarding your conversion. In fact, cams would be the last thing on my "things to get" list. Once you have all the specs on your build, talk to the experts. I would call in this order:

Dougherty Cams
Elgin Cams
Web Cams

One other cam possibility: SC 330. Good low end, builds boost nicely, excellent mid range, good top end.
Old 12-06-2005 | 09:17 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Then sell the stock pistons and cylinders, and buy EBS's 3.4L kit that has 3.2L finned cylinders and JE pistons.
PM sent!
Old 12-06-2005 | 09:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Dougherty Cams
Elgin Cams
Web Cams
How about Jerry Woods?
Old 12-06-2005 | 11:27 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 38D
How about Jerry Woods?
Probably a good choice too (great reputation) - never spoke to him. If you do, ask for proof on the cam recommendation (dyno sheets) and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-07-2005 | 12:31 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Probably a good choice too (great reputation) - never spoke to him. If you do, ask for proof on the cam recommendation (dyno sheets) and let us know how it goes.
Jerry has an engine dyno, so I am sure he has the sheets. I took his engine rebuilding class a couple of years ago. Saw him dyno a carb'd 3.4L at 348hp (and he though he could get another 10-15 with some carb work). Not too shabby!
Old 12-07-2005 | 01:48 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

A930 Rocket -- fyi... I was thinking about changing cams from my 964's and tooka private pole in the last week of multiple turbo engine builders and everyone recommended 964 for me, which is CIS running 4k to 6.8k.
Old 12-07-2005 | 02:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I'll wait until I get there, but it looks like the 964s might be the ones. Seems they will work with CIS and EFI (mild build).

Brian has them on his car (among other things) and it's very fast.

Originally Posted by JoeMag
A930 Rocket -- fyi... I was thinking about changing cams from my 964's and took a private pole in the last week of multiple turbo engine builders and everyone recommended 964 for me, which is CIS running 4k to 6.8k.
Old 12-12-2005 | 01:19 PM
oildog
Intermediate

I REALLY like that track (full course). I instructed out there about 2 years ago - the 6 hour drive (one way) was worth every mile.
DonE, have you ever been to this track in Birmingham? Since you were a driving instructor, what do you think of this class? (see link) I've done the BMW M Driving class in Spartanburg (had a blast), and have my choice of classes for my up coming birthday. Any suggestions?
http://www.porschedriving.com/the_track_detail.asp
Thanks,
Alan
Old 12-12-2005 | 02:38 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I instructed that course too, right after it opened. It is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, its not a 930 track (turbo w/4 sp tranny) - I spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear. I was being spanked by some good Boxters and lightweight older 911's in most of the corners. There is good run-off in most of the corners in case you want to try a new line. About 1/2 way through the first day, you really learn to carry speed to keep up with the lighter, better geared cars. Its very technical and the facilities are very very nice. If you get the chance, do it.
Old 12-12-2005 | 03:40 PM
oildog
Intermediate

I instructed that course too, right after it opened. It is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, its not a 930 track (turbo w/4 sp tranny) - I spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear. I was being spanked by some good Boxters and lightweight older 911's in most of the corners. There is good run-off in most of the corners in case you want to try a new line. About 1/2 way through the first day, you really learn to carry speed to keep up with the lighter, better geared cars. Its very technical and the facilities are very very nice. If you get the chance, do it.
DonE,
I know this is off topic, but the Driving class I linked was in their cars, so we would be driving modern Porsches with anti-lock, stability, etc. I don't mind tracking my 930, but to be honest, sometimes when the rear starts to come around, it scares the S%@t out of me! You know the ole lift throttle thing! It makes me drive pretty dang conservative.
Thanks for the relpy,
Alan
Old 12-12-2005 | 06:12 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by oildog
I don't mind tracking my 930, but to be honest, sometimes when the rear starts to come around, it scares the S%@t out of me! You know the ole lift throttle thing! It makes me drive pretty dang conservative.
911 turbos really need to be driven "by the book", else bad things happen. When you do progress, turbo are a hoot on the track. Having spent 8 years tracking 914s, my '91 turbo is a pussycat. Driving the 914 was like trying to balance a BB on a pin.
Old 12-12-2005 | 09:39 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Sorry - off topic too.

I like to show my students what a slide or drift is in a turbo. Turn 1 at VIR (cw) is a big lazy 190 degree right turn where you can slide the *** and steer the car using power. The infield 180 degree turn at Barber is a slow speed slider too. That is a hoot...

Thinking a little more about "hoot" driving, I also enjoy showing off the braking capabilities. I use Hawk Blues and R compound tires, and like to show newbies how powerful you can brake these cars from very high speeds. I have the fingernail marks in my passenger dash to prove it...

Muhahaha

Quick Reply: "While You're In There..."