911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Problems back fitting exhaust to thermal reactor car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems back fitting exhaust to thermal reactor car

I'm putting a post '86 exhaust on my '77 to replace the thermal reactor exhaust. It looks like I need new hardlines for the wastegate. It also looks like I need a new hard line from the engine oil scavenge pump. Is that correct? Will the hard line from an SC engine, the kind that goes around the back of the engine near the muffler, fit?

What about the hard line from the turbo sump to the turbo oil pump? I've got both kinds of turbo sump, the one that came on the thermal reactor car and the post '86 kind. I can't get the later one to fit. The original one fits okay, but the hard line to the turbo oil pump is around a half inch too long, and I don't want to put a load on the pipe from the turbo sump. Is the turbo position changed with the updated exhaust?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has the parts I need, please contact me. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:01 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom,
The early 930 wastegates were mounted horizontal. After Porsche realized that the wastegates were failing because of moisture accumulation in the diaphram area, they mounted them vertically. That would explain the change in the boost line and vent line differances.
The oil lines for the turbocharger, I can't help you out there. There may have been subtle positioning differances in the turbocharger which would mandate oil line mods. Just don't know. If Stephen, Geoffrey or Kevin are lurking maybe they can help.

Dave
'85 Factory Slantnose 930
Old 11-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I found the answer. It looks like the hot housing needs to rotate relative to the rest of the turbo. Loosened the v band, now working on freeing up the joint. Any tricks to make this job faster? Lots of heat?

Sorry if I'm tying up the board with simpleton questions, but I'm still a novice on the 930.

Quick Reply: Problems back fitting exhaust to thermal reactor car