911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What could drain my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
chc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could drain my battery?

I just bought this 930 a month ago. The PO told me if I don't drive the car at least one time a week, I should have the battery disconnected otherwaise the alarm system will drain the battery (dose not make sense to me). So last time when I drove the car is about 8 days ago, when I tried to start my car this morning, the battery just does not have enough juice to crank it up then either I open the door or open the hood, don't quite remember, the alarm just went off. Finally, I managed to disconnected the battery to shut down the stock alarm system. The battery is less than 6 months old I will say. How can I identify what is drainning my battery or I just need to drive the car a little bit more. By the way, I am totally new to Porsche, I have very limited knowledge about this car.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it would take time, but you could pull 2-4 fuses at a time and wait until you drive it next time. Replace the fuses and if it starts up, it would be in one of those circuits. If it doesn't start up, try a few more fuses, etc.

Mine can sit for weeks without problms.

You can tell electricity isn't my friend. LOL
Old 11-21-2005, 09:01 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alarm will definitely drain the battery over time. I shut the alarm off when it is in my garage.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

I would try just disconnecting the alarm, and then see if it still drains.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 AM
chc
Track Day

How do you disconnect the alarm? Can I find it in the alarm manual? Will try to find it tonighht. I also got the remote with a weak battery inside, havn't figured it out how to use it yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an after market radio/cd ? If you do, I'll bet that is where the problem is. If you do have one, find the inline fuse that always comes with these radios and take the fuse out. Let the car sit for a few days and check it again. Mine came with an after markewt and thats where the drain was.
Rudy
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 AM
chc
Track Day

No, mine is still the stock unit.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by chc
How do you disconnect the alarm? Can I find it in the alarm manual? Will try to find it tonighht. I also got the remote with a weak battery inside, havn't figured it out how to use it yet.
For most aftermarket alarm installations there is normally a supplemental power line going directly to the battery. Find it and un-hook it.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM
chc
Track Day

The alarm system I have is SE 3000 by Clifford? Is this an aftermaket or stock unit? Does anyone has this on your car?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHC,

I just purchased a '88 930 about 3 weeks ago. I too have a Clifford alarm system on my car. It is an aftermarket system. Mine does the same thing (drains the battery if left on for several days at a time...), and the Previous Owner told me the same thing that your PO told you. I simply do not arm my alarm while the car is sitting in my garage for extended periods of time.

PM me with your phone # and a time to catch up to you. Assuming your alarm was installed in the same way mine was, I can tell you where to disconnect the alarm so that you won't have anymore problems. It takes 10 seconds to disconnect it and reconnect it this way...The PO of my car showed me this trick and it is quick & easy.

Hit me up & I will help you out.

Cajun
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Alarms shouldn't drain the battery that quickly no matter if it's factory or not. You need to hook up an ammeter, see what the current draw is and selectively pull fuses until the drain drops to a normal level. Electricity isn't my friend either but you've definitely got a leak somewhere and this is the best way to find it.

I once had a problem after having a stereo installed in a 964 - battery started running down within hours so I blamed the stereo. Turned out that the installer had removed the glovebox and when he reinstalled it the switch for the glovebox light wasn't turning off properly, which ran down the battery pretty quickly.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

If you measure the voltage at your battery (with engine off) you will get a reading approx 12V. If you then open the door of the car you will notice the voltage at the battery drops (if the light in the car works !). This is a good way to locate faults. Keep disconnecting stuff until the voltage rises. I had a Clifford alarm in my '83 3.2 carrera when I bought it. After a few years the battery kept draining. I kept on removing parts of the alarm wiring and I actually heard a click of a relay de-energize. When I tested the voltage it had increased.
Compare your voltage of your porsche to another car. All 12V car batteries are the same voltage, this will help you compare what is an acceptable amount of drain (clocks, alarm etc).

You can always hook up some small crocodile type leads to the battery outside the car so you can test voltage with the car locked and alarmed up. Both of my 911's I have removed the central locking, I hate them. As for the alarms/immobilisers insurance companies make me have them eitherwise I think I would bin those too and just install a secret cut out switch somewhere.

Last edited by nathanUK '81 930 G50; 11-22-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have an 89 model with clifford and had the same problem.I solved it by buying a small and cheap trickle charger that i leave on when the car is not in use for more than a week.No problems since.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:35 AM
chc
Track Day

BY talking to Cajun the other day, it appears that our Clifford setups are slightly different. Taking a couple of pictures, hopefully I can get some help from you guys. Does your car have the plug right underneath the fuse box as shown on my pictures, it is a plug with several red wires connecting to it right behind blue wires. Could this be my power wire of the alarm. Please note mine has a slant nose conversion. Or could it be the transparent plug right above the battery.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:05 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

i had this problem in my 94... not sure if it will apply.... after u turn the ignition off there is a relay that stays on so u can close the sunroof windows etc....( my audi ids the same must be a german thing)... after u open a door the relay shuts off the power and u cant close the windows even after u close the door... had this problem for a while then found out the relay went bad and was staying on all the time draining my batt.

hope this solves ur prob

Quick Reply: What could drain my battery?