Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has anyone seen this or have done this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 06:44 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Default Has anyone seen this or have done this??

Morning all.

I have just signed up and you could consider me a newbie. I posted this same question on the dorkiphus site and have not had any answers. Hopefully you all could answer this.

BTW I have a 79 930 (Haven't been able to add a signature yet)

I had been having issues with my first gear. Acting Notchy and sometimes not going into gear. So I descided to order some bushings...Hoping that this could be my issue. I do not have the space to do an engine drop. So lets do the simple things first. (Next a Transmission flush)

I took the shifter housing off and came across a strange piece of metal that is placed at the back(close to the park break) where you bolt it down with the two hex bolts.
(BTW the bushings were fine.. Darn)

This made the housing not flush with the floorboard. Very strange, but then again I am new to P-cars.

I decided to take this foreign object away and bolt the shifter so that it was flush. Could not shift gears. Replaced everything and I am back to square one.

My question is...

Are the bolts too long?
Is something bent?
Could this Jerry rig be causing my sporadic issue (Plus Sloppy shifting also)

I have attached the photos for your viewing enjoyment.

Thanks all and I look forward to many more discussions
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2005 | 07:21 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Welcome,

What you have there is a part of the short shifter kit. This piece plus a few more are part of a kit that's sold by a few vendor such as vertexauto.com.

The short shifter kit reduces the throw when you shift into gear. But it also puts strain, and makes the shifting action heavier on the shifter. If you shift fast it will wear out your synchro rings more rapidly over time.

There are others on here that will give you a more technical details on the why and how.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 10-24-2005 | 07:46 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

That notchy 1st thing is normal for these transmissions. They are strong transmissions but are really 1963 technology.

Get in the habit of grabing 2nd gear then first. If it ever won't go into gear, put it in another gear first. This will align the gears in the transmission and make it possible to put into first.

For years I drove Hondas and had a strange habit of putting the car in 2nd before 1st. When I bought the 930, I finally realized why I was doing it. I originally learned to drive standard on my Dad's old 911!
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:15 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

OK, I think I remember how your short shift goes.
Seems you have a cr@p aftermarket short shift kit like I have on my 3.2 carrera. I like you did not buy or fit it.
I took mine to pieces to make sure nothing was worn out.

The white piece on the bottom of the shift rod is longer than the normal stock part.
The rectangular spacer block goes on top of the shift tube bracket that is inside the tunnel of the car under the shift housing. The shift housing does NOT touch this rectangular block. It goes under the sheet metal of the car.
This makes the shift tube lower and further away from the white plastic part. The new white plastic part is longer so it still reaches into the cup attatched to the shift tube. This magnifies the movement.

Shift rod = the part that you hold when changing gear that has the shift **** on it.
Shift tube = the tube that is cranked to miss the handbrake that runs from the front of the car to the rear of the car in the little hatch under the carpet inbetween the rear footwell mats.

This pic might help too.
http://www.seinesystems.com/ShiftHouseExploded.htm

Correct me guys if I am wrong.
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:58 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Wont you wear out your clutch by starting in second?? That is what I have always been taught. Am I wrong.

Thanks all
Old 10-24-2005 | 09:42 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't start in second, you only select second and then slide into first. This aligns all of the gears and syncros so that going into first is easier. Then you go to first and let out the clutch. A practice I do almost without thinking as I approach a stop is to go into second as I come to a stop. Then I go to first and never have a hangup. You will experience a similar problem when you select reverse. Put in the clutch wait for about 5 seconds and then select the reverse gear. One way to tell if your clutch needs adjusting or is going bad is if no matter how long you wait, you still grind reverse gear.
One good thing about owning a 930 is that your wallet will never be a problem when you sit on a hard bench!
Rudy
Old 10-24-2005 | 11:10 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I now use a modified version of this technique on my RUF 5 speed. To select 1st, you select 2nd, then try 1st, then try 2nd again, then try 1st, now try 3rd, then try 2nd, then you might get 1st. If not try 2nd.

A RUF 5 speed is a 930 4 speed where they made the 4 original 930 gears closer together to form 2-5. Then they made a special casing so you could put a 915 1st gear way out the back with the reverse gear. Aparently if you honk on it real hard in 1st, you will rip 1ist right off the shaft. Because it's so far out the end of the case, the shifting into 1st is really fiddly. Though you only use it to get rolling. 2-5 are perfect!
Old 10-25-2005 | 10:56 AM
Sameer
Race Car

I usually do this for going into reverse, I put it into 1st with a blip of the throttle than into reverse
Old 10-25-2005 | 10:56 AM
vascott99
Instructor

Thanks all..

I pretty much do the while sitting at a light. Go to second then to first repeat steps until it engages...You all mentioned that you know if you need to adjust, if the gears grind sometimes when going into reverse..."What do you adjust..." The clutch cable...is that something I can do without lifting the car....
Old 10-25-2005 | 02:14 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Does the 930 box have the special cut dog teeth like my '84 model 915 transmission does ?
It's meant to be for easier 1st selection. I know it was a update for the 911 cars transmission but do not know what year it happened.

If the 930 box does then it sounds like you guys could do with new dogs, rings and sliders.

When the box's are cold then they will grind if you push too hard or fast on the shifter.

And sorry guys, but I LOVE my short G50 box except for where reverse is. Reverse should be below 5th IMO.
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:02 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

If you can't engage a gear during a shift,
i've also found that a quick double-clutch will usually get everything lined as well as matching speed better.
Old 10-30-2005 | 12:06 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

That's what I do if 1st won't engage...I clutch in, go to 2nd, then go to 1st.

In a similar vein, sometimes 2nd grinds when downshifting. Not always- usually if I'm dropping in speed from, say, 40+ mph down to 15-ish mph for a turn. I haven't gotten to DE in over two years now so I don't know if it grinds from 3rd to 2nd for a 2nd gear "higher speed" turn (eg: MidOhio at the end of the back straight just before going into Madness).

Lately, it seems that the gear grinds whether or not I heel-toe and I try to get the revs to match.

It doesn't grind when upshifting- whether casually driving or 'aggressively' driving (ie: 6K+ RPM in 1st before going to 2nd) when entering onto a local highway from a standstill...only downshifting...and not all of the time.

As a side note: My driving style- even when driving aggressively, I don't "jam" it into gear. I try to make it as smooth as possible.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this or have done this??