911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 12:21 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Default Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake

Friends,
I wrote to Joe Fabiani of Fabspeed and this is what he had to say abt the Fabspeed F1 BMC intake for the 930:

HI Sameer
Here are the answers to your questions>

-How is you rinduction kit better over my current setup?
FABSPEED AIRINTAKE KITS FLOWS MORE AIR AND IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER SYSTEM AND SUPPORTS UP TO 550HP. IT ALLOWS MUCH EASIER WORK AND VALVE ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE ENGINE AND YOU CAN SPOT LEAKS MUCH EASIER. MAINTENANCE IS SO SIMPLE AND THE ENGINE CAN FINALLY BE APPECIATED IN ALL ITS GLORY. THE FABSPEED BMC F1 SYSTEM WILL ADD POWER OVER ANY FACTORY OR AFTERMARKET SYSTEM AND IS A GREAT VALUE FOR THE PRICE.

-Will it fit behind my Kokeln intercooler?
OUR SYSTEM FITS BEHIND THE LARGEST INTERCOOLERS AND WE HAVE SOLD TO KOKELN EQUIPPED 930 CARS.

-How will the air get in if it’s blocked by the intercooler?
PORCSHE MOTORSPORTS ON THEIR 934 CARS USED A SIMILRA AIRINTAKE SYSTEM AND FABSPEED DESIGNED OUR SYSTEM TO BE LIKE PORSCHE MOTORSPORTS RACECARS OF THE 1970S AND 1980S. THE ENGINE HAS NO PROBLEM ALLOWING THE AIR TO GET SUCKED INTO OUR BMC F1 FILTER. THERE IS A TON OF NEW AND FRESH AIR BEING PULLED INTO THE ENGINE BAY BY THE FAN. AIR ALSO RUNS AROUND AND OVER THE TOP OF THE INTERCOOLER.

-Do you have any before and after dyno results?
I HAVE NOT HAD A CHNACE TO DYNO. I WOULD LIKE A STOCK VERSUS FABSPEED DYNO TEST. I HAVE SOLD SYSTEMS TO SHOP OWNERS WITH MODIFIED 930 CARS AND SOME OF THESE GUYS HAVE DYNOES………..AND HAVE TOLD ME AFTER DRIVING THEIR CARS THE CARS FEEL BETTER AND SLIGHTLY STRONGER…………….BUT THE BIGGEST BENEFIT IS GETTING THAT HEAVY LOUSY METAL AIRBOX OFF THE TOP OF THE ENGINE. OUR SYSTEM HAVE TO MAKE MORE POWER THAT STOCK………..AS THE STOCK 930 AIRBOX IS STEEL AND HEATS UP AND “BAKES” THE INCOMING AIR THAT IS GETTING SUCKED TO THE ENGINE. PORSCHE DIDN’T HAVE PLASTICS TECHNOLOGY BACK THEN AND STEEL AIRBOXES ARE WHAT THEY USED.

Thanks

Joe Fabiani

Benefits:
Uncluttered Engine Compartments
No steel Air box- No heat sink to absorb heat and heat up intake
Easy to work with engine, save $100's in labor during routine maintenance
Saves maintenance time, and weighs much less, for better handling and cooler engine Temperatures
Developed and sold exclusively by Fabspeed Motorsports. Manufactured under license by BMC Italy
More Cold air flow, and more power
High velocity air flow supports up to 550 HP
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:28 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Thanks for the info, Sameer. I've been looking at this one for a while now. I just can't justify the clams for it. Doesn't seem like you're getting a whole hell of a lot for the money. I know it's "proprietary design" and all that garbage, but it seems like one could get the same results ordering an airfilter from a hot-rod parts vendor and making it work...as another Rennlister has already done.
I can get the OEM air box off in about five minuets, blindfolded, with both my hands behind my back. I do like the uncluttered engine bay. Who knows....
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:30 PM
Sameer
Race Car

What I really want is numbers, will ask him again for it
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:35 PM
sand_man
Drifting

I'm shocked he doesn't have them! With the (relatively) high selling price of this filter, you'd think he had some R&D expenses in there...including dyno testing. I really don't mind the OEM thing any more. There are other things I'd rather spend the dough on.
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:37 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Seems to me that if you are in the business of selling truly performance improving products you would have the numbers before you even went to market!
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:47 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Guys,
Even if it makes a difference, the question is how much of a difference. Instead of my filter currently sitting under the fan, the Fabspeed one sits behind the intercooler just parallel to my stock setup.

Stephen,
you tried this stuff?
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:03 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Ok guys I think I'm going to go for the BMC F1 intake. Will be putting up my Zucz/Airtek induction kit for sale which is painted in Guards red and laquered with a Ruf logo.
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:16 AM
im4duke
Racer

Sameer, I'm interested. Please PM or e-mail with a price.
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:23 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Will do Max
Old 10-25-2005 | 05:57 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i have it on my motor. Had it on since rebuilt so i do not no if there are any advantages to it. It does free up alot of space and looks good. I will say it is exspensive for what u get.
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:53 PM
Sameer
Race Car

JBrown,
Can you pls help by posting some pics of it? Which intercooler do you have? Does the intercooler cause any obstruction to it? I'm using the Kokeln intercooler with the updated BOV so I hope that will not block the filter. Pics would help.
Old 10-27-2005 | 11:31 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i will try to get some. my motor is out of my car. i will try to stop by the mechanics tommarow. I am using a garrettson intercooler. my motor is a 3.5 built off a 3.0. i dont no if the intake system is different from a 3.0 to a 3.3. The one thing i dont like is the filter hits the top of the engine bay.
Old 10-28-2005 | 01:53 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Jbrown,
Thanks buddie.
Old 10-28-2005 | 05:06 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i will have to do it monday for u. took pics but could not load them. It was to big a picture. i will do it over. If you give me yr email i should be able to send them directly to you .
Old 10-28-2005 | 06:25 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

And you guys were questioning the eRAM guy who had dyno charts!
Rudy

Quick Reply: Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake