Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'76 930 restored with 200 miles on it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 AM
red9thirty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 930 restored with 200 miles on it??

If you read the description of the car, it was completely restored with only 200 miles on it! It presently has 2797 but only 2597 since resto. Am I reading this correctly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

On another note this dealer has a bunch of 911's for sale.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red9thirty
If you read the description of the car, it was completely restored with only 200 miles on it! It presently has 2797 but only 2597 since resto. Am I reading this correctly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

On another note this dealer has a bunch of 911's for sale.
Things that make you go: "HHHMMM"! Nice car! Over $60K spent on restoration...I wonder what it actually sells for?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
red9thirty
Racer

This same dealer has a 1957 corvette with 7 miles on it! It to has been restored. Is it legal to reset an odometer after restoration? If so, who deems a restoration to be proper?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Gino
Racer

Hmmmm. I was unaware the '76 had an IC... make sure that motor is from that car or vintage. '76 should be 3.0L and non-intercooled. suspect already since the claim is "engine completely restored". also, where's the AC? I don't see a compressor off the passenger side.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Sounds like someone put a lot of money in updating a '76. In some ways that makes the car worth less then a bone stock '76. I would look carefully to see that an accident isn't what triggered the work. Not much of it is stock'76 anymore.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Gino,
In your current car list you have an '06 Passat. I picked one up as a company car and I've really enjoyed it. And I've gotten 34 MPG on highway... when did I grow old and get excited about MPG?!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
Sounds like someone put a lot of money in updating a '76. In some ways that makes the car worth less then a bone stock '76. I would look carefully to see that an accident isn't what triggered the work. Not much of it is stock'76 anymore.
I agree, some things look a little out of place. I'm not that familiar with the the "early" Turbo cars, but I thought the "wrap around" front turn signals/indicators on the front bumper came on the later cars. I thought the side marker light was located on the side of the front fenders...maybe this is just a Euro vs. USA thing and I am mistaken.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Stratman
Racer

I have a Euro 76. There was no center console, the seats look electric which they didn't have then, and the 76/77's didn't have IC's. That looks like one off of a 78-89. The heat exchangers/headers are different. The body looks stock.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Look around eBay this dealer buys a lot of his inventory off eBay. He also lists a heck of a lot of cars he either does not have or already sold. I called him a few months back on a car which he did not have, while I was on the phone I asked about 2 others he didn’t have any of the three then he got pissed when I asked him what % of the cars on his site he actually had for sale.

I am not saying not to buy from this guy, just make sure you do a lot of homework and a PPI is a must. Nothing wrong with a little capitalism on his behalf, but I get the feeling he’ll sell anything he can get his hands on with no concern for the quality of the car. IMHO you can buy a car from any source as long as you do a lot of research and get a really good PPI. Don’t look for deals here either if he’s plucking them off eBay then he already got the deal.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
jrc930
7th Gear

Incorrect rear spoiler as well, just something else to note
Old 10-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Stratman
Racer

The IC wouldn't fit with the original tail.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The VIN seems to indicate it is a ROW '76 Turbo. According to PET, USA '76 Turbo Carreras have VINs beginning 93068xxx1, and ROW are 93067xxx1.
Stamps & text in the service manual are in German as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at this dealer the weekend before Rita hit. I was actually looking for a 930 & at the time he did not have any. I have to give him credit, the cars he has are really clean. NOTE: I have no idea about how sound his cars are mechanically, but cosmetically, they were all 9s & 10s. I also noticed that he had all the available records he could for all the cars he had.

Like a previous poster mentioned, his online inventory & what he has on the showroom don't always match-up. My buddy who was there with me was looking for a '94 Speedster they had advertised on Autotrader & when we got there we learned that the car had been sold weeks before....

Having said that, he just tried to sell this very car to me today. Like I said, I was over there a couple of weeks ago looking for a 930 & I left my contact information. He called me at my office a couple of days ago to follow up. When I told him that I had located an '88 930 that I was really interested in, he tried to talk me into this car. I brought up many of the same concerns/comments that have already been raised in this thread, including the fact that I already owned a '76 911s & was not interested in owning another car with a magnesium case. He made it sound like it was not only a restoration job, but the engine was also updated/upgraded (hence the IC). He told me on the phone TODAY that I could buy that car for $39,xxx. I had no idea that it was on Ebay. Our conversation ended when I told him I was interested in a '86 - '88 car.

I too am interested in seeing what this car moves for, especially since he offered it to me at 39k.

It looks good...exactly the way he described it on the phone. I am sure that it is a nice car, but for that $$$, I would get something a little "newer".
Old 10-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

39K ? you're kidding ? wow thats a big number, at that price I would be looking at low miles newer turbos maybe even close to a really nice 89 turbo. Since the car in question in far from stock it has no value to any sort of collector.

The 1994 speedster was a car that was local here in South Eastern PA, in fact I had seen it up close several times and I know he bought it from a local dealer. It was pretty clean and I am sure he spent some time and money glossing it up for resale. I am sure he turned a buck on it, good work!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
39K ? you're kidding ? wow thats a big number, at that price I would be looking at low miles newer turbos maybe even close to a really nice 89 turbo. Since the car in question in far from stock it has no value to any sort of collector.

The 1994 speedster was a car that was local here in South Eastern PA, in fact I had seen it up close several times and I know he bought it from a local dealer. It was pretty clean and I am sure he spent some time and money glossing it up for resale. I am sure he turned a buck on it, good work!
I tried to explain that I was not interested in a "restored" car. I am looking for a driver. I plan to drive it like I bought it brand new....

I also thought 39k was pretty steep for this car, especially since besides being "restored" there does not appear to be anything particularly special about this 930.

He was advertising two '94 Speedsters when we were there, a black one and a red one. The black one was the one my buddy wanted, but it was long gone. We saw the red one & it was really nice too but he told us he sold it to some guy in Spain. Which one was the one near you???

Quick Reply: '76 930 restored with 200 miles on it??