Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Alois Ruf's Yellowbird-Ride of my life!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,
long time no se you here. I still have your videos from your site which I think are great. Your ride will just blow the yelowbird to bits and pieces. If only I was on your side...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll definitely take you up on that ride offer and nice car.

All 26 pictures I took of the car didn't come out at All. I had an awesome one with my car next to it with the Pacific ocean in the background, but no more...I cried for 3 hours, saw a therapist, and drank a few beers so I am better now. I'm trying to get the ones my friend took but he's holding onto them like they are his only child.

Regarding the mods, Ruf made this 5 speed before the g50 was even available from Porsche, the body was "narrow" except for the passenger rear fender which is from a 73 911 as it had the oil filler door similar to the gas tank. (I had a picture of it They also modified the gas tank to fit in the spare tire area, seam welded the entire body, AL doors and hood and the engine modifications you spoke of. Two individual intercoolers were tucked away in the engine compartment and got air from the trademark triangles on the rear fender wells. It turned out these were low pressure inlets and were removed from later verstions.

Suspension was pretty much stock with specially tuned bilsteins. Rode very compliantly, was relatively quiet, and was very smooth with no "jerkiness" whatsoever.

I hope to have some pictures to post.

Kevin 3.6 turbo
Old 10-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Ruf's 5 speed g/box
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin & Sameer
The offer is always open.

David
Old 10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Finally, some pics my friend took and check out the 001 VIN! Its amazing the things that excite me.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/vin_number.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ruf_front_copy1.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ruf_back.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ruf_side.jpg
Old 10-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Looks bloody good!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:56 PM
papaya9
Instructor

If you're paying $30k to get braces for three kids you're being robbed!
Old 10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
MOD500
Racer

Great write up.

I had the pleasure of riding for 4 or 5 laps in a YB (Thanks Adam ) round a track recently.

I can honestly say it was the best automotive experience I have ever had! The noise, especially the whistles and pops from the turbos, plus the feeling of poise from the low kerb weight produced a 'fix' simply beyond words as you mentioned. My heart is going like a drum just sat here thinking about it all.

It did start raining whilst we were on the track, and I admit I did not welcome the waters from on high But the car felt very stable and planted in the wet, I thought my days might be up when Adam shouted should he turn the boost up to full (low boost so far), 'yes please' I shouted

I thought the acc could not be much more brutal than on low boost, how wrong I was......... the feeling of relentless shove under full throttle was simply immense The laps were made more fun just watching Adam pilot the car with great skill and control also.

One thing still makes me smile about the blast, after around 2 laps where in I started feeling sick I shouted 'I have never been in any other 911 like this', and Adam replied 'This isn't like any other 911'
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Awesome experience!. Any experience that causes you to get sick when your done definitely worthwhile .

Kevin
3.6 turbo

Quick Reply: Alois Ruf's Yellowbird-Ride of my life!!