911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A little help wth my 911 please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:38 AM
bwbolin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help wth my 911 please

I just purchased my first 911 turbo two weeks ago. I have had 911 over the years just no turbo cars. He is the problem. It is an out of state car, so it has to pass Washington State emissions to be licensed. No problem the car ran great. Wrong, it failed the CO%. cruise limit of 1 and it was a 3.69 an idle limit of 1.2 and it was a 4.55. Long story longer, I take it to one of the two porsche mechanics in the area, he retards the timing, leans out the mixture and reconnects the O2 sensor. The car passes emissions with flying colors, but I lost lots of low end power! When I question him on the performance He says disconnect the O2 sensor. Everything else is set to spec. Finally heres the question. Can I adjust back the mixture,if so how, and get some of the power back? Or is the change in the timing the issue? The car was idling a little high before, now its about 850. any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Brooke
Old 09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can adjust the mixture up and you should. If you don't you will lean the car out and if that doesn't kill the rings the exhaust valves will burn. I have seen 30K mile cars running stock specs and the valves will burn to the point you can see day light around them.

Do a search on google for the Gunson gas tester. Buy one and do your own CO!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
bwbolin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise. I am looking into a Gunson gas tester. As for the car the timing seams to be the problem. I have vacuum leak in the distributor advance canister. And the car was running on the lean side.
Brooke

Quick Reply: A little help wth my 911 please