911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ok guys plz tell me what you think: '80 930

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys plz tell me what you think: '80 930

I recently stumbled onto a copper 1980 930 (4-speed) gray market with 60,000 miles on it. The owner has had it for 15 years and he just got it back from the shop because of an electrical problem which was taken care of by replacing everything in the "box"(sorry I can't remember exactly what it was).
He says it currently has a problem with the "modulator" (something to do with the fuel injection) whereby he has to push a button once in a while if it acts up. He says the car is in concourse condition in and out and has never seen the track. It also has a special turbo on it (that spools up quicker than a K27)from a specialty shop in MD and has special exhaust system (one exhaust on each side of the rear). Its never been dynoed, but he estimates that it is somewhere near 400 hp because he has several other Porsches with one or two over that number. I believe he is a PCA member too.
I have little understanding about gray market cars, but for some reason feel that it is something that is undesirable. Can anyone share their feelings about this car, if you were going to buy it?

Curt
Old 08-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curt,
Stock would be 300bhp. Now this guy claims to be around 400bhp with just a better turbo? Ask him what else has been done to it with receipts to back it up. Also has the car got any rust? major accidents? Serice records? Have you driven it yet?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm okay with buying a "gray market" car: provided the seller has all of the correct & proper federalization papers...and if the car is currently titled here in the US for use on the streets, I'm sure he does. As for the electrical problems...I don't like those! I can honestly say, that everything electrical works in my car including the VDO clock and low fuel light. I once looked at another 930 that was in decent shape with a good price, but the crazy "boom-boom-boom" stereo that the owner had installed was not done professionally and the amps, and speakers, and head-unit had been spliced into all sorts of electrical points on the car! It was a wiring disaster! It was crazy! I passed! if you are truely serious, you will need to have that '80 looked at by an independent shop...it's worth the $$$. There is no shortage of cars...take your time, the search is fun!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 AM
papaya9
Instructor

Hey Sameer,
I'm starting to get wary of this car the more I read about gray market cars and your post! I have not driven it yet, and don't think I will get to that stage even though he's asking US$25k for it. Looks like I'll just keep on looking.....Thanks for your help.

Curt
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curt,
Even if it's a grey market but in good running condition, than give it a second thought. However I would keep my options open. At the end of the day it's your money. Gd luck.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Sameer- Thanks! Will keep you posted
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Gray market cars arent physically any more or less appealing. Pretty much same parts, same car, same everything +/- a cpl items. The stickler is a lot of people do not want gray market, chiefly because it means at some point the car either flew the coop and crossed the pond, or went through customs somewhere and has moved around quite a bit. With movement, that may mean extra owners. With extra owner, that might mean extra stories.

Gray market cars fall under this sometimes false perception. But the reality is oftentime they are harder to sell once you have one. Folks would rather just have a "made for USA" car. On the other hand, if you accept this reality, you can find a decent deal on a gray car, and if you find that it has no hidden stories, the money you save on the gray might make up for any lose revenue when you end up selling it.

It's something you have to think about. The public's perception is reality -- for better or worse -- and one must account for it.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Thanks UD. That's what sold me on not buying. Having to sell it in the future!

Curt
Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I brought in several Porsche's and helped bring in over 70 others back in the 80's. All were federalized by a shop here in Jersey. Although these cars were the best that could be found the majority of the grey market cars I saw brought in by others were rats. I kept my grey market SC for 19 years and the buyer got a gem.

There was a lot of money to be made if you lived in Europe by taking a crappy old Porsche and having the local gas station/garage/paint shop slap some fresh paint on it and sell it to some American for what we considered pennies looking for a cheap Porsche. Meanwhile those pennies brought big money to those selling the cars due to the exchange rate. I looked at many cars that were real junk during those years. Many of these cars I saw here eventually.

This doesn't mean that this isn't a nice car. You need to have a thorough PPI done by a qualified Porsche turbo expert to tell you what the car is truly about. As others said check out all federalization paperwork and check with your local motor vehicle department to make sure you wont have any issues titling the car.

BTW The Copper Brown metallic was a great color. MY first SC was in that color and I always wanted it in a turbo body. Very sharp, especially with tan interior.

Good Luck
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Anthony- I appreciate your insightful reply. I'd love to buy this car, but I don't want to get stuck with dealing with emissions inspections, et al, not to mention trying to sell it! Right now I'm looking at an '86 930 which is black. I'm hoping to talk him down from 37k to 30 (yeah, right!

Curt
Old 08-04-2005, 05:04 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a grey market car, the Customs/DOT/EPA papers should be with the car. The only time I had trouble registering the car was in Wisconsin. Not because of emissions, but because the VIN was RoW. After a couple of weeks the car was titled for Wisconsin after the DMV Research group examined the papers, they approved the car without any physical inspection.
Most of the grey market cars have been in the country for over twenty years. I would think that the emission/bug issues have been worked out by now. I would treat them like any other car.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Gino
Racer

I think they called that cool copper-brown color Quartz Metallic...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Gino
I think they called that cool copper-brown color Quartz Metallic...
If its the color I think it is it was called Tobacco Brown Metallic. I don't have any pics of my car to post but it was a color the factory uesd to advertise several models in. It was only offerd for a few years from the mid 70's to early 80's.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Gino
Racer

Anthony-
there was an article in Excellence (Nov 2002) where an older 930 was highlighted in AZ. I thinbk that one was tobacco metallic
Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

i want to see this color. is it like this 3.2 carrera? This is like a chocolate brown color. Very nice in person. Incidently this car is mint.

Last edited by UDPride; 06-30-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok guys plz tell me what you think: '80 930