Surgery on the old girl

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:04 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surgery on the old girl

Here is an update on my saga of S mods. You don't know how hard it was to take a saw to the sheet metal! I think I could have cut my toe off with less fretting. You can also see some of the real 930 S boxed rockers that I am also installing. Unfortunately the inside curve of the rockers did not exactly match the curve of my car so I had to split them down the middle and weld in a top panel. So much for "All parts fit all cars".
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Where did you source the ducting?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:35 PM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

Looks great Rudy. Did my measurements help you? Keep up the good work.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crazy,
Yes your measurements were very helpful. I got more measurements from other sorces and I found out that each car and duct set are all basicaly custom fitted. Even though my ducts were better than most they still require hand fitting all the way around. The older 930 S's were molded in fiberglass or metal but in '87 Porsche went to the screw in type that can be removed if necessary. I am trying to go with the screw in type. It is a lot easier to mold them in though. The 930 S manual shows a collar around the opening of the fender made by bending the metal from the fender around the duct. I love doing the work but it is daunting.
I'll keep you guys updated. If I can help anyone let me know because I have recieved much help and advice from the forum.

Rudy
Old 07-15-2005, 10:35 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question about the source of the ducts. They were made by an old Porsche mechanic/body builder in S. Cal. I bought them from a gut who was moving to Las Vegas and was selling a garage full of 911/930 parts. If anyone is interested, I can dig his name up and post it.
Rudy
Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch that must have hurt but hey it's starting to look good rite
Old 07-16-2005, 02:52 AM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

The measurements came from my 87 factory slantnose and are screwed in also.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:54 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I have done an extensive amount of bodywork over the years and also worked in a bodyshop, so I feel your apprehension taking the blade to the metal. Looks like you are talented and know "the know".

Keep us updated with pics as I would love to see the evolution of this project.

Regards - Yasin
Old 07-17-2005, 04:11 PM
BReyes
Racer

I can understand your concerns. Yet by going ahead you may obtain the results you seek. And it will be your own work, so that will mean alot more to you when it is all done correctly.

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

From what I see so far, it should be a nice install when you are done.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Old 07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all of you for the kind words of encouragement. I am real excited with the progress and have to stay out of my workshop part time to keep the shewolf from crying neglect! I'll take some new pics when I get this side complete.
Regards,
Rudy
Old 08-09-2005, 11:59 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

found a place to get the steel kits nr auto they have whole slant nose steel kits and will also sell individual parts. they also sell cab conversion kits so if you want to turn a targa into a cab they have them. I'll post my own pics when i get started on mine just got a 930 targa all in pieces.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rudy,
If you can, post pics when your done. That would be nice to see how it turns out.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recall when I did Monster's. I thought I was going to be sick when I cut that hole!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen,
I owe you a lot because when I asked you about the thermostat location you told me that a lot of people went ahead a installed the vents with the thermo where it was. That gave me the momentum to go ahead and "Do it". I did put in the correct for '87 model which is the screw in type and can be removed to get at the thermo if needed. One other debt that I owe you is the suggestion to weld on a piece if a stud broke off and there was any sticking out. I was putting on my new headers and was tightening the nuts down when one of them broke. It turned out to be that the header flange was slightly thinner than the original and I should have used a thick washer. Anyway, it broke of with a little thread left on the stud so I started a nut and then welded it to the stud. It came right out! Man I was happy. You're the nuts!
The Schnell headers that I got from Vertex for the Rennlist price of $750 went on without a hitch although the turboflange holes were a little tight. I drilled them out with no problem. My god, the difference in weight from the original to the headers is unbeliveable. Now my question is what do I do with all of the holes and hoses that I have left over? Any ideas? One other thing, you do not need tghe allen nuts that are required on the originals because there is no hole to go through. Now all I need to fiond is an oil hose from the pump tube to the new tank. Any ideas?
Thanks guys. I love this ****! I was under my baby all day and loved every minute of it!
Rudy
ps
Pic to follow
Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing to owe at all. I love seeing you guys go out and do stuff based on the small amount of help we can give. It is always my pleasure when something works out. Keep up the great work!

Quick Reply: Surgery on the old girl