Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Bitz Racing EFI kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:23 PM
SoFast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not disagree with you there. I am sure Geoffey felt the same way building his car. The process and learning experience was worth every penny. But I did not see Geoffrey comprimising on the price in the end. Who wants to lose the time and effort, plus expense in the end. I highly doubt that you will either when it comes time to sell, if you ever do. You will want some sort of recooperation on your dollar spent. Most people do, even though the HP bug gets the best of you. So for some, it may be worth it. For others, and most people, it is not.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:14 PM
James.E
Advanced

I guess the other thing to remember is that the ECU is a small part of the total cost. My total spend with Motec out of the the £15K conversion was about £2.5 with all sensors and various options/upgrades I chose. Ok, other ECUs may have cost £1k, but £1.5k out of £15k is not really worth worrying about.

One thing is for sure, I wish I was doing this in the USA, not the UK...
Old 06-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been on the other side of the coin, my car has got 20k mods on it from the PO, i personally would of never done that but the stuff im working on is alot of fun esp this efi system and hope to not cost too much... i like to investigate and research it - its cheaper and also you learn so much.

talking about the Uk, the US is much more mod crazy and cheaper to do in fact than here
Old 06-18-2005, 05:20 PM
SoFast
Racer

Well, the Motec system when finished here in the US will add an additional $10,000.00 US to your final total. That is the reason I stated what I stated. If it was only 2,500.00 I wouls not have any quams with spending the money. But $10,000.00 is way over the top. The HP to dollar ratio is not worth the expense.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:03 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFast
Well, the Motec system when finished here in the US will add an additional $10,000.00 US to your final total. That is the reason I stated what I stated. If it was only 2,500.00 I wouls not have any quams with spending the money. But $10,000.00 is way over the top. The HP to dollar ratio is not worth the expense.
$10k is the price of a fully installed motec system. The parts alone are less than that.

And I can't believe you are complaining about 100hp for $10k...the NA engined guys would kill for that! One more thing, it's not all about peak hp. With Motec, you increase the area under the hp/tq curve, giving much enhanced drivability.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:28 PM
SoFast
Racer

All I am stating is that if you want to use the system, it will cost you $10,000.00 for 100 HP which is alot for these older cars. The parts are $6,000.00. Will you get your monies worth out of the car in resale. Probably not. In order to fully utilize the capabilities of the motec system, you run into the issue of doing a full rebuild on the engine. The 930 engines are only capable of 400RWHP, which the CIS is capable of handling. After that, you will have to switch over to CIS, and by the end, you will probably spend from $15,000 - $20,000 on a car that you buy for around $25,000 - $35,000. As well, the value will not increase proportinately with the monies spent on the modifed portions of the car. So, you spend in haste. If we all would get our monies worth out of the cars, or somewhere close, then this discussion would be a moot point. Most people are frugal. That is the plain reality of it all.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:55 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked with Stephen at AI and he stated that his EFI sys would be in the $6000 range. It is still expensive but you would have great back up when needed and his rep is on the line. He has always been straight with me and I think I would go with his sys before I would wing it to save a few grand. Lets face it, there is nothing worse than a poorly running car and no one to turn to. I admire those of you that can fabricate and install/tune a parts only EFI but most of don't have the knowledge or desire to do it. I drool over the thought of being able to use my lap top to tune my engine! But someone else will have to put it all together and stand behind their work before I will jump in.
Good luck to all of you and keep us posted when the big plug and play sys becomes available!!!!

Rudy
Old 06-18-2005, 09:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFast
All I am stating is that if you want to use the system, it will cost you $10,000.00 for 100 HP which is alot for these older cars. The parts are $6,000.00. Will you get your monies worth out of the car in resale. Probably not. In order to fully utilize the capabilities of the motec system, you run into the issue of doing a full rebuild on the engine. The 930 engines are only capable of 400RWHP, which the CIS is capable of handling. After that, you will have to switch over to CIS, and by the end, you will probably spend from $15,000 - $20,000 on a car that you buy for around $25,000 - $35,000. As well, the value will not increase proportinately with the monies spent on the modifed portions of the car. So, you spend in haste. If we all would get our monies worth out of the cars, or somewhere close, then this discussion would be a moot point. Most people are frugal. That is the plain reality of it all.
I 100% agree that you never get your money out of upgrades. But if I didn't race in a stock class, I would certainly do a motec upgrade.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Guys,
I have used the Motec M400 before in my WRX and damn the tuning paramters were good. At that time I paid US$4000 for it including tuning. Well worth every cent I put into it. Today ask em to go Motec, I would think again. Why? Because of the Autronic SMC and what it has to offer. I think most tuners would agree with me. The Autronic SMC is valuse for money and a very reputalbe brand. Put 2 930's together with all mods and everything else equal, same tuners but one with Motec and the oter with Autronic, or even put them on the dyno. Do you guys think there will be that much of a difference in power or how the power curve is? I doubt it. So ask yourself isit worth paying that much extra for the Motec? Just weigh the pros and cons and I think you'll will end up with the Autronic. No I dont work or have anything to do with Autronic, I just think it's value for money thats all. Again it's your money so think wisely. However if you really want the brand as well, than go for the Motec. JMHO.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:37 PM
SoFast
Racer

Sameer,
So, are you going to go EFI on your 930? Why the interest in the Bitz? I am on here because I want to go to EFI, but I want to learn as much as possible. Prices and usability. My car isnt going to be a strict track car, and I plan on using it mainly on the street. Occasional D.E., yes. My next step is to go k27 HF"S" or K27 HF2, but that will be based on EFI and where I plan on going with this car for now.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM
rs911t
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put 2 930's together with all mods and everything else equal, same tuners but one with Motec and the oter with Autronic, or even put them on the dyno. Do you guys think there will be that much of a difference in power or how the power curve is?
How about MoTec vs. Megasquirt comparison, tuned by their respective experts. Not necessarily "all the mods". Just the typical upgrades: turbo, IC, boost increase, maybe cams.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:52 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went with the TEC3 system, and bought my kit through Clewett. I bought his wiring harness and everything. It made the install super easy, and I figured my timed saved was worth the extra expense of buying everything as a kit.

Fortunately, I can say that as far as the ignition/fuel injection goes, I haven't had any issues. I've had other issues but none really related to the sensors, or ignition or fuel delivery. Tuning is a on-going thing, but I feel like I have that pretty much under control at this point.

Just my .02.

I'm sure Stephen's kit will be great, especially since Geoffrey has had his hands in it. And $6K is not a bad price if it elinates alot of hassle, wiring, etc.

Brian
Old 06-21-2005, 02:12 PM
quattrorunner
Instructor

Try 034efi. This guy lives and breaths audi 5 cyl turbo. But he has developed a efi which controlls everything you would need. fuel, ignition, boost, nitrous and more. check it out It starts at about 600 for fuel alone. He has support like no other, and has many sensors and hardware his efi can run anything but his business is geared toward audi. He would like to have other engine types use his stuff. I know he has a 911 turbo using his supplimentary fueler and some other imports using efi and such. I believe he could hold the answer to many needs among the 911 cis cars.
www.034efi.com
Old 06-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Sameer
Race Car

SoFast,
it's just a matter of time before I do. Why the Bitz? Well Most probably I wont go for this but am keeping my options open and would like to learn more on what these products have to offer.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Ok guys,

Any verdict on the Bitz as of lately?

I just read in Excellence about the system and was curious about it. I saw that if you had CIS, you had the pieces to do the conversion cheap and easy (of course for NA 911's).

Then I thought of the 930!!!!

Quick Reply: Bitz Racing EFI kit