911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

934 on CIS,,how did they manage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldminer
Here's a dumb question. What's the big deal about running lean? Presumeably it causes engine damage. The reason I ask is that I recently lost a fuel pump which caused the engine to misbehave under boost. Could I have done some damage?

Lean = HEAT
...and not a little bit of it. Enough heat and bad things happen... like things melt. We try to tune our engines to run a bit rich to keep things cool.

Sometimes bad things happen very very quickly. No way to know for sure unless it is obviously bad (like a blown cylinder or rings).
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Sameer. BTW, your Speed Yellow is gorgeous.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blackboy,
thanks.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am by no means an expert, but...
Steve hit on something that seems to get glossed over too often. Driveability. I think even the best tuned CIS cars have less than ideal driveability. Mine certainly does. Bad throttle response, bad MPG, etc. Do we live with it? Yes because they are a hoot to drive. But it's definitely old technology - over 20 years. The 934's - almost 30. Fuel injection and turbo charging were in their infancy. Racers tolerated lousy driveability and lag issues because there just wasn't an alternative. As bad as they seem now, they were state of the art then.
For the same money I've spent on my few mods, I could have EFI. If I had it to do over again that's what I'd do. I think in the real world EFI should be the first mod.
I love my 930, but there is no doubt it is old technology, and the CIS has serious limitations. If I had the room and money for 4 - 5 cars I'd keep it forever... But I don't.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:08 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my '79 930 has better drivability then my wife's Audi A6 Twin turbo. All those computers get in the way. Instead of "turbo" lag we get tranny lag. While technology could make some things better... so far the execution of the technology has left a lot to be desired.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO the CIS is good and good for a lot of power. Yes it can run a lot more efficent with EFI but it's not that worse off now. With the CIS setup and a few good mods, we guys are beating so many newer sports cars built today. If money was not an option, go for the EFI, but if it is, stick with the CIS and make the best out of it. It's still rock and roll.

Quick Reply: 934 on CIS,,how did they manage?