911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Rear Bumper Removal - A Pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:21 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Removal - A Pictorial

Basically my boss pissed me off today came home and I needed to do something tangible with my hands....the 930 was the victim 9plus I am tired digging up Dandelions in the yard)....rear bumper was going to come off. Its EASY!!!!

For those thinking about doing it...it really is the not daunting at all! I had it off the car in a leisurely 45minutes if not less.

Step 1: Remove the lights for the license plates - 2 Phillips head self tapping scews and then pry the lights out with your finger - they come out easily. Then unplug the two electrical spade connectors to the light and pull the harness through the bumper, so that it does not get ripped out when you remove the bumper

and

On my car my harness on the right side was compeletely broken and the electric connestor on the left was broken - go figure! No wonder the license lights never worked! This is a good discovery for me as I can attend to this when I button everything back together.

Step 2: The black rubber bumper strip...there is a little plug that resides about 6" from the big rubber bumper gaurds, pry the plug up with your finger nail and then take your Phillips screwdriver and back the self tapping screw all the way, the good thing with these screws is that they will not fall out! Then take your finger and push the overlap piece of the strip that resides in the black bumper guard out - sounds weird but trust me it comes out with ease! You now have access to the bumper bolts! Yeah!

Step 3: Get under the car (make sure you have it firmly jacked-up!) and now its time to access the black accordian pieces on either end of the bumper. These are 8mm nuts and there are 4 per side. They come out easily and once all out and safely stored push on the stud from the underside of the car out, this will free up the accordian piece but will take a little effort, it will eventually come out after a few tries.

Then remove the 4 -14mm bolts holding the bumper and voila:

or if you prefer:

The fun begins now!!!

Hope that helps - Yasin
Old 05-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yasin,
and what do you plan to do with it now that it's off?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yasin,
You have inspired me to remover my rear bumper!
I bought a huge 6'x6' chunk of high temp heat shielding material and plan on insulating all of the hot turbo / exhaust parts from the rest of the car...
Some of my exhaust piping I have already wrapped with high heat header wrap...now its time for the rest.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yasin/ E-Man930
at least for next time... when you remove the license plate lamp wires, you should attach some string to them and pull it thru, then cut when slack is on both sides of the bumper. this way it will be a whole lot easier to 'fish them back' into the rubber bumpers by knotting the wires onto the string and pulling them thru. .
Old 05-15-2005, 08:11 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.... As long as it is off, you need a new turbo, exhaust and headers!

Originally Posted by Sameer
Yasin,
and what do you plan to do with it now that it's off?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phew!
I wrapped the turbo hot side with double sided heat shielding material 3 sheets thick! I also did the in / out pipes to and from the muffler. While I had the bumper off I also constructed a heat shield to replace the always hardening, never sealing... rubber engine shroud seal that is supposed to keep the hot air out of the engine fan's intake... Let me tell you I am amazed at how much cooler my freakin car runs! I mean the needle on the oil temp gauge went from the usual third mark to the second mark... continous! After tooling it around for about 15 minutes to set in the wrap / sheilding, I got on the throttle in second gear and I felt an extra kick! I'm amazed... it feels like I picked up a few ponies.
YASIN you rule for posting this, I was going to delay fixing the heat problem on my car for a bit, but after realising how easy it is to remover the rear bumper I couldn't resist! Thank Man!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

E-Man930 - Glad to help and be of assistance!! Heck we are all here to help each other out right?

Yasin
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like this is a good how-to article. I want to change the muffler on my 87 930 and it looks like taking the bumper off is the best way to go. The pictures seem to have been eliminated. Anyone know how to get them back?

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
im4duke
Racer

I removed my rear bumper 2-3 times in the last 6 months. Got so tired of fishing the string and license plate wiring so I cut them near the bumper shock tubes and inserted connectors. Saves good time and aggravation. Next is to get rid of the bellows...
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

I'm with im4duke, I added a 2-pin weather-pack connector to each tag light wire. Now the complete bumper removal takes about 15 minutes. Makes life much easier.

Win
Old 01-21-2006, 03:33 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

I have restructured my website...here is new URL:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...566&uid=504386

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

Good luck - Yasin
Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yasin,

Thanks very much...exactly what I was looking for. Very much appreciated.

Mike
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Glad to help!

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Removal - A Pictorial