911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Never a dull moment!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Here's an update.

The Locksmith came, opened the car, I looked for the key, but still couldn't find it. After getting 4 sets of keys made for about $150 total, I fooled around w/ the 930 some more and figured out the problem.

It seems as though the culprit is a 30 amp relay plug that sits in rectangular aluminum-type block on the right hand corner firewall of the engine bay. This is the same metal block which houses the 3 strange looking fuses on the side. Getting back to the plug, after closely examining the relay plug, it looks as if this relay is not seating properly into rubber molex pin. I can literally view the pins from the side, which indicate that the relay is probably not making electrical contact with its female counterpart. While the key was in the "on" position, I used 2 fingers to simply squeeze the top of the relay & the entire metal plate together. As soon as the relay in question "sat" in its rubber seat, I hear a slightly different noise, which I can assume is the fuel pump. I hit the clutch, turn the key......bam the car starts.

Just for sh*%s and giggles, I play around with the relay plug some more while the car is idling. It didn't take much to work the plug loose, but as soon as electrical contact was lost, the car cut off, just as it had been doing about a week ago. So apparently during spirited driving, this deviant relay has been working itself loose, thus cutting off the car. After the car sits for a while or via kick start, the vibration or non activity lets the relay settle back into place, allowing the car to start.

This is all to ask how can I possibly recondition the female rubber molex plug that this relay sits in? I thought maybe WD-40, but this is really reserved for metal to metal surfaces. I only want to ensure that the relay is making full contact to the plug.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 AM
87turbo930
Advanced

You could try just putting some dialectric grease in the holes to help with the contact. Or just replace the whole plug if that doesnt fix it.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 87turbo930
You could try just putting some dialectric grease in the holes to help with the contact. Or just replace the whole plug if that doesnt fix it.
Can I pick that up at an Autozone type place or is a more specialty supply shop required?

Here's the culprit:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...0161233300.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited by Lexlyf; 04-26-2005 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lex,
If you look at the picture of the socket closely you can see the gaps in each socket that provide the give and grip on the pins. It might be worthwhile to take a small screwdriver or pick and try to squeeze the gaps a little closer together to provide more grip. The other option is to fabricate a small "U" shaped piece of metal that will fit under the edges of the rubber socket and over the top of the male plug to provide pressure towards each other. It might seem like a lot but if your garage is like mine, you will have a piece that fits. LOL
Rudy
Old 04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Lex,
If you look at the picture of the socket closely you can see the gaps in each socket that provide the give and grip on the pins. It might be worthwhile to take a small screwdriver or pick and try to squeeze the gaps a little closer together to provide more grip. The other option is to fabricate a small "U" shaped piece of metal that will fit under the edges of the rubber socket and over the top of the male plug to provide pressure towards each other.
Rudy
Rudy,

This is exactly what I anticipated doing. After tightening the pins in the female portion of the relay plug, I was going to temporarily use a high strength zip tie around the relay itself and the metal tray. Sounds like an $80 option to me. I will however purchase another relay & keep it in the car for those "not so fresh incidents." LOL!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Default UPDATE!!!!

I attempted to give the 930 a little drive this morning before going into the office. Upon doing so, another problem still seems to exist & it looks like its still in the fuel related category.

The car started right up, which is a major accomplishment if anyone has followed this thread. The problem comes about 20-30 seconds after initial startup. The car seems to stumble on itself & can't quite catch a respectable idle.

I'm still trying to brush up on the basics of this motor, as my area of expertise rests within late model Lexus motors. I believe what I am experiencing is a potential problem with a fuel pressure (fuel pressure regulators specifically). As I try to disengauge the clutch to 1st gear, the car hesitates almost violently, but after getting into 2nd, the motor seems to calm down a bit. Once the car is going, all seems well, but every now and then I can sense the hesitation in the car.

I was able to return the car home & jump into the Lex for the time being. I thought I smart & had it all figured out, but it looks as if I have more figuring to do. This has definitely been a learning experiencing, but in the end I hope to acquire a wealth of knowledge regarding this vehicle and be able to diagnose motor problems, potential or otherwise, more efficiently.

Can anyone lend symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator (maybe WUR)?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 PM
SoFast
Racer

Ahhhh, take it to your local Porsche mechanic. Once there it will run perfectly, until you get it back home...LOL The same sorta happened to me, but it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The car would run, but had terrible power and sometimes would surge, but not voilently. I replaced my pumps just out of frustration, and bam. Gone. I did get some really nice racing pumps that I am very pleased with.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of pumps did you get?

Originally Posted by SoFast
I did get some really nice racing pumps that I am very pleased with.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 AM
SoFast
Racer

Weldon fuel pumps. A few minor modifications for fitment...Quite Pricey...I was told they are the best....
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lex,
I had some problems that were sorta similar and one of my problems was the warmup relay which is on the left with the other round relays. I swapped it with one from the front and it cured it right away. Could've been a loose plug or dirt, who knows? Anyway both relays are fine. My car is going on 19 years old and things can get grungy in that length of time.

Rudy
Old 04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Yo Lex like I told you earlier I'd give you an update on what the repair shop said was wrong with my car and to my astonishment absolutely nothing. Once at the dealer the car ran flawlessly for the 5 days they had the car. The drive home was uneventful and a blast. The only thing I can contribute it to is a bottle of octane boost I put in the gas tank right before I started to have problems. Anyway I'm glad to be back on the road.

Tone out
Old 05-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Cured" problem with no-start

Just an update for the record. My car has been driving me nuts for the last 2-3 weeks, being unable to start because the fuel pumps were not getting current through the 2 relays that run them. Turns out that the control current, pins 85-86, that energizes the pumps wasn't adequately grounded. Providing a solid, dependable ground for that circuit has fixed the problem. This is obviously not what has plagued some of the other guys on this thread, but my woes may help some some unlucky guy with the same problem.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Things seem to have calm down for now. I had a loose fuel pump relay that seem to have caused the problems. I got some zip ties from Home Depot & secured the relay to the relay plug for now until I receive another relay socket.

I plan to drive the car to work tomorrow, which should be interesting, as I have always encountered some mechanical failure when taking the 930 to work. We'll see what happens.

On another front, I plan to do a leak down compression test along with an inspection of turbo unit & wastegate soon. Even though all seems to have corrected itself, my butt meter is sensing a loss of power.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Lexlyf
Instructor

I'm getting slightly excited, as I didn't encounter any problems as I had anticipated. I did learn that I need to stick with major brand name fuels, as a visit to a local Hess gas station caused "her" to hiccup a bit, even though it's 93 octane. I don't care what they say about their gas being the same quality as other major brand competitors, there is a noticeable difference especially with this 930 motor.

I plan on swapping out the fuel filters, as there is probably some debris in there. I did have pretty noticeable backfire as I entered boost in 1st gear earlier today & the car off immediately. I traced it back to the same fuel pump relay. I guess the vibration wiggled the zip tie loose & the relay rose out of place. After spreading the bottom pins of the relay itself, it slid into the plug with a level of firmness that I had not felt before, so I feel more confident in the connection.

After popping that relay back in, she started right up & didn't hesitate at all during my hour plus ride to & from the house.

Mmmm. Note to self: "Need a larger turbo???!!!" Answer->Need, no. Want, yes!!

Quick Reply: Never a dull moment!!