911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Slantnose quarter panel slats

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:06 PM
motorhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slantnose quarter panel slats

Anyone know what type of wood the factory made the slats that fit in the quarter panels on a slantnose car?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:27 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of Ruf side vents that came with the slats and they were made of a high [Cabinet] grade of plywood. Each one is a different size and they all have different bevels on the edges that fit into the vents. They would be pretty hard to make without a template. Performance Parts sells the whole set, ie; vents and slays and they might fax you a copy of their slats.
I a m still looking for a set of steel vents and slats.

Good luck,

Rudy
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

I saw a complete setincluding the cut out ready to be installed on Ebay. No bids at the time and I believe the buy it now price was $299. Maybe you can buy it cheaper. I would do a search my pricing may be wrong.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:54 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Anthony,
I saw that one too. It was only one side and it was missing one of the slats. I figured I would never find the left one to go with it.

Rudy
Old 02-01-2023, 03:01 AM
James Buchanan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorhead
Anyone know what type of wood the factory made the slats that fit in the quarter panels on a slantnose car?

This is a rare photo of what the wooden slats look like.
There is not one picture of these slats anywhere on the internet besides this one. They belong to my 1978 930 slant cabriolet. Porsche never inventoried this part. When Porsche did the conversion these were custom made along with the fiberglass front valance and cover plates for the light bar mechanism. Note the heavy rippling on the surface, They are textured . This was intentionally done . the underside of the slats are without a texture and are smooth. This is a distinct feature of the wooden slats that is rarely known. Slats made of wood and painted black won’t get you there.

Slant nose conversions made by the Porsche factory pre 1987 must have these characteristics:

wooden rear vent slats.
oil cooler mounted on passenger side wheel well.
rockers must be welded to the frame.
custom black boxed round front head lights
single motor for the light bar.
custom made fiberglass front valance.
custom made fiberglass light bar mechanism covers.
die cut vents on front fenders.
rear fender vents closely follow the contour of the fender.

It has no documentation, but it has every correct detail.
Factory slant nose package. Every correct upgrade, Every part Porsche factory no OEM replacement parts. But as the Chinese say, no ticky no laundry. Somebody went to great lengths at an enormous cost to build this car. Just the fact that all the parts are Porsche factory is incredible for a 1978. It was their dream that’ was not for sale.
They built a 1978 930 cabriolet slant nose, first year of the 3.3 l turbo number 138. White factory gauge cluster not overlays . They fitted it with a $29,500 Porsche Factory slantnose package. They added every factory option that was available, right down to the wheel package. 15in BBS Honeycomb rims fitted with 223 on the front and 245’s on the rear. They upgraded the engine package that was available. K27 turbo, double width intercooler, 1lb of boost, SC cam and borla exhaust. 930 steering wheel with matching crests inlaid on the door handles.
it’s exactly like what a 1978 930 cabriolet slant nose upgraded with every option available would be like coming off the Porsche production line. I’m so lucky to be able to drive their dream…top speed 158 with the top down 171mph 499hp on the Dino .

Last edited by James Buchanan; 02-01-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:16 PM
abolfaz
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a factory 88 505 car. One of the slats is broken, its not made of wood.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:42 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by abolfaz
Thank You!
I've been around these cars for 40+ years as a hobby, and/or professionally working in the industry for several independents and Porsche.
That being said, the 505 rear quarter slates are NOT wood!! They are of a composite; the material differs slightly given when produced and whether factory or aftermarket. Some have a smooth finish while others have a slightly textured finish.
The steel vents seen are all aftermarket.

Last edited by onboost; 02-05-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:31 AM
abolfaz
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by abolfaz
same here. I have the tips of one of mine broken on a m505 factory car. Looks like some sort of foam core, definitely not wood.

Quick Reply: Slantnose quarter panel slats