Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Gas Mileage ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sinbad7: Do you use Imperial gallons, or US gallons, in Australia?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
youngkang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was getting poor gas mileage with 16mpg mixed...
Old 11-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ENGINEERMAN
Hi:

Killing is your business eh?!

Why do you say I don't love the car enough? I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like the car. I'm just a little unfamiliar with it and figure all the people on this site with much more knowledge and experience can help me out.

Did your dad ever buy you one like you were saying?
... i didnt mean it as an attack. I was only jokeing. Im sure you do love the car. Anyone buying a 930 must know a thing or two about a true sports car and how to drive.

Did my dad ever BUY me the car? No, but that is also because i planned on paying for it with all the money i had made from WORKING my own the few years before. What my dad offered was to buy me a car in two years if i got into UCSD however, of course i wouldnt have let him. I would have only asked to help me make the downpayment on it. I mean, im sure alot of other people had their parents buy cars for them that were around 5-10grand. My father would have been paying something around there for the downpayment.

I dont know why no one seems to like me ont he 911turbo/930 forums. All i get are flames here....
Old 11-05-2004, 06:21 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa!!! This is why e-mail can get you in trouble. Why don't we take a step back. I assumed you were joking but wasn't sure. I also wasn't making fun of you (You'll notice that I didn't put any CAPS in my question). In another e-mail you said that your dad offered to buy you any car you wanted and that you were inquireing about the 930 as a possibility while you were in school. I was just curious about what you decided. If your dad wants to buy you a car that's his business (I have to say that he is a very generous guy to be willing to buy you a 930)!

Nuf said. Peace!

If you ever want to talk off line (out of the public forum feel free to e-mail me at tom.braun@colder.com). I do know a fwee things about cars & driving even though I'm not a 911 expert.

Originally Posted by Kesepton
... i didnt mean it as an attack. I was only jokeing. Im sure you do love the car. Anyone buying a 930 must know a thing or two about a true sports car and how to drive.

Did my dad ever BUY me the car? No, but that is also because i planned on paying for it with all the money i had made from WORKING my own the few years before. What my dad offered was to buy me a car in two years if i got into UCSD however, of course i wouldnt have let him. I would have only asked to help me make the downpayment on it. I mean, im sure alot of other people had their parents buy cars for them that were around 5-10grand. My father would have been paying something around there for the downpayment.

I dont know why no one seems to like me ont he 911turbo/930 forums. All i get are flames here....
Old 11-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kesepton,

With all due respect, do you realise your the only one in the forum getting all the "flames". Do you ask yourself why?
Old 11-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha, yes i do. And, i still wonder. I mean, i dont know. Maybe im just an ***? I certently dont mean to be one indirectly, or even directly. I was just teasing/jokeing but, i guess you guys take things a little more seriously than my usual crowd. Ill keep this in mind from now on. I hope this is all settled, id like to start over if possible.

(and i guess alot of people didnt like the idea of a college student getting a 930, i guess i am a bit spoiled per-se but, i did earn the money. To each his own i guess)
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Sinbad7
AutoX

Right. Just drove back from Canberra - about 300+ kms each way. Almost filled the tank half way down. I could just see the top line on the gauge above the needle, so probably five litres short of a complete fill (guessing here). I pushed the trip meter and then drove 450km to be back in town with the reserve light having just lit on the fuel gauge. My car is a 1978 911SC Targa, but with everything converted to the 3.3 turbo specs - all the way down to the turbo tie rods. The roof was off incidentally, so that'll hurt fuel economy a tad.

One question ... how much fuel is left when that light goes on? Never did get the owner's manual when I bought my car. Took me a couple of weeks to work out all the switches.

Now, a quick search tells me that the fuel tank is a 64 litre capacity. Assuming I had, say, 60 litres onboard (a guess), and had two litres left when the light went on, I've done 450kms using 58 litres. 7.76 km per litre. 12.88 litres per 100km. Now, for the Americans amongst us - onlineconversion.com tells me that 1 US liquid gallon is 3.785 litres, which means 18.36 miles per gallon. When I did my earlier rough calculation in my head to get 20mpg I was using 4 litres per gallon - I'm a metric child, I ask your forgiveness.

The car went into the shop for some care and attention when I first got it home, and the guy said he'd richened up the mixture a little, so that hangs together with me roughly calculating about 20 mpg on the way up from Melbourne a few weeks ago. If I use my 'assumed' 4 litres per gallon I'd have worked out 19.4 miles per gallon on this last trip.

When it comes to city driving, on the other hand, I think I'd prefer not to know
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Sinbad7
AutoX

Hey! If I work it out using UK gallons I get 22mpg. That's much better.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:13 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks again for all of the good input!

I would guess that I am doing pretty good for a car that has had a larger Turbo (K27) & a variety of other mods completed by Prototech. I guess that the important thing is that she seems to run perfectly.

Again thanks for your help!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

If I stay out of boost...I can get 25 mpg averaging ~65 mph. This is with the O2 sensor hooked up. Unplug it and I'm down to the mid to high teens. Never checked around town though. Motor is stock except for headers.

Kesepton...saw nothing wrong with your post. There seems to be some sensitive people around here.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I pretty much average between 8-10 city and 12-14 highway...day in, day out...year after wonderful year...
Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default I guess I'm doing pretty good!

You all seem to be getting similar results so I'll take that to mean that I'm not dealing with anything that is unusual. I'll just let er rip & have some fun!

Thanks all.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 AM
pete77930
Racer

My window sticker says 14 city and 24 highway.
Last time I calculated it I was getting about 8 in th city and 10 on the highway...That drops to around 3-4mpg when I play around backroads. Gotta love CIS
Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 AM
rotorhead
1st Gear

Sinbad7: great to hear there is another 930 Targa around. I am a little further north in Port Macquarie.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:06 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kesepton
... I dont know why no one seems to like me ont he 911turbo/930 forums. All i get are flames here....
Kasepton - If you are willing to take a little bit of constructive criticism... Get rid of the Juvi signiture and Avatar and you might be taken more seriously. Not flaming just suggesting.

Quick Reply: 930 Gas Mileage ???