911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Help getting 1976 2.7 turbo started after many years

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
E36M3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help getting 1976 2.7 turbo started after many years

My father and I would greatly appretiate any help or advice on any of the following areas.

The chassis is a 1976 911 T but it has a 1976 2.7 liter turbo engine w/CIS. The only part of the old 2.4 engine was the block which was bored to fit the 2.7 liter low compression internals. The car has been sitting for 15 years and hasn't been started for 13 years(my mom let it drift into a new camero and the insurance company dropped my parents and the porsche wasn't covered under the new insurance plan).

The car still cranks under the power of the starter or a wrench on the fan bolt. We figured the first step would be fuel. The tank and lines are ruined so we cut the send and return lines and removed the fuel pump and filters(There are 2 right next to each other). We are trying to see if the fuel pump still works, so it has no hoses attached, but all it does is buzz a little and get warm(seized maybe?). Can we borrow a pump from my dads Bonneville my M3 or a 95 chevy truck to see if we can get it to run. We figured once we get a fuel pump set up we will take all the injectors out and run gas through to clean the lines.

Any ideas on checking for oil pressure? The car has a dry sump(without this we probably wouldn't even try to get it started.

We already replaced the plugs and the distributer is in new condition. Any ideas on checking for spark.

We took off the turbo piping because the turbo feels seized. We can't get it to spin with our fingers, but we really arn't worring about this because we are trying to get the car started N/A.

Any input welcome.

Thanks
Doug
Old 10-02-2004, 11:31 PM
raceman77
Advanced

well amigos it seems like you`ve really got your hands full.Parking a car is like taking a cat nap;well,l only had my eyes closed for a second...you`re late for work/years later it`s time for the ressurection.Don`t rush.lf you don`t have the time or inclination to be thourough the get rid of it,sell or trade it off.l`ve been amazed by being able to start badly stored cars with only a few basic steps but in your case like l said,don`t rush.The pump can be tested easily if you have a CIS test kit or you can use a universal Vacuum/pressure guage since you cut the lines.The fuel distributor can be sensitive to fuel breakdown/corrosion and once you clean the tank and replace the lines/filters then the fuel you run through should have a healthy dose of Techron.When you`re ready to fire up with fresh oil/filter and plugs make sure you disconnect the ignition so you can crank over until you see oil pressure.Good luck with it.To be really safe l`d shoot some oil into the cylinders via a flexible plastic tube before really cranking the engine.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
E36M3
Track Day

Thanks for the help.

We just drained the oil and it looked to be in good condition.

Can we just use one of those red gas cans as a tank? We were going to rig it so it would be a gravity feed. Is this going to work while we try to see if the engine will run?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
jlandreth
Intermediate

Please! If you do that,do it outside.When I was a teenager,that approach seemed to make sense.Take your time and above all...be careful!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:38 PM
E36M3
Track Day

Tomorrow we are going to hook the distributer up and give it a try.

We have fuel dripping consistantly from all 6 of the CIS fuel lines. When they are unscrewed from the injectors of course.

We changed the oil and when we crank it, we get a solid 21 psi oil pressure. It was cranking slow because we didn't have enough current. New battery should do the trick.

If we do get it running we are going to let it run until the oil heats up. Then we will change the oil and run it again.

any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Just out of curiosity....how many miles are on the car?? Any pictures of it?? Cars like this intrigue me.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:57 AM
E36M3
Track Day

We have no spark. We couldn't see any spark on the points next to the distributor shaft. Is there any way we can hook 12 volts up to the distributor to see if we can get it running or if we need a new coil? Anyone know how to bypass the permatune? Can this even be done?

The car is yellow but it is chipping and the body is pretty bad. There are no fenders on the front, the drivers door is red, the hood is primer green, and the back bumper is a little dented in from a truck drifting into it. The engine was completely rebuilt with racing clearances 7000 miles before it was taken off the road. The chassis has 60,000 miles
Old 10-12-2004, 11:33 AM
A Grabau
Track Day

if you can get the oil feed line off the turbo spray some penetrant oil in there for a couple of seconds. The penetrant might free things up, you'll have lost nothing really, if the turbo's bad anyway.

AL

Quick Reply: Help getting 1976 2.7 turbo started after many years