Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
TB

Interesting to see that RS actually uses anything other than the Secan for such a high output car, knowing that they preach no other I/C will take you beyond 600 hp. I wonder what core they are using.

TB!
Jean
The Secan wasn't invented back then
Old 09-15-2004, 06:27 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Jean
The Secan wasn't invented back then
but they still got 750 hp without it!

I will do the translation and post it here, but just give me a day or two max guys.

Jean
Old 09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jean,
Thanks and awiting the translation, we really do appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 PM
ZLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are reading way too many Road & Tracks thye way you talk about 0-60 times! Who the hell cares? The car gets to 190MPH in 17 seconds!!! I have owned cars with 900+hp and for the 1st 100 or so mph you will spin the tires yeilding higher 0-60 times but after that its all go. I never launch hard because of wear and tear on the car plus my car is fast enough to beat whatever im racing on the top end.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the promised translation of the RS Tuning 700 hp cabrio. I have summarized the most relevant points as the article is quite long. While reading it bear in mind how far back this engine was built, while some of the mods now seems pretty obvious, at the time , this was quite an innovation on a Porsche. And this car was the fastest road leagal car in the world back then if I am not mistaken.

Thanks TB for sharing it with us.

At RS Tuning, they wanted to really make something monstrous under the hood. From the exterior we note a very tasteful general discretion. The car is black and has simply the exterior look of what could be a Carrera 2 Turbo Convertible. This convertible was not anything more than a simple 911 SC targa with 204 hp. An SC that has seen all kinds of changes since the previous owner had already transformed it into a Flat Nose at DP Motorsports in Germany.

When time came to turn it into what it is today, there was nothing spared, first the chassis: From a Targa, we moved to a convertible and on the same basis that we described in an earlier edition, only here over and above the classical reinforcements for adding rigidity, we have added a few others, of which the most spectacular was the placement of 2 aluminum bars as a safety bar between the doors and the front seats.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...riosidebar.jpg

So you have to climb your way above those bars and into the car. The fenders were obviously widened and the bumpers are made of Kevlar and the doors are aluminum. Two openings for cooling were performed on the rear fenders, one for engine cooling and the other for the brakes. These fenders cover 17” OZ wheels with Bridgestone 235 ZR and 275 ZR in the rear.

Where we see that the chassis transformation went very far is when we see the front windshield that is longer than a stock one. Reworked, this part gives better aerodynamic results, while circulating better, there is more down force on the rear wing, therefore a better stability. The wipers are also larger, which is not for luxurious purposes and the door mirrors 935 style.

We were immediately attracted by a boost adjustment **** located between the 2 front seats and that allows you to regulate pressure between 0.8 to 1.4 bar.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...oboostknob.jpg

On the dashboard, there are 4 key gauges added, a gauge that reads pressure from before the multi butterflies, and other after, which allows you to taking into consideration several parameters, you also have a temperature gauge that measures the intake temps and exhaust temps.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...rioconsole.jpg
The redline starts at 7800 RPMs and the speed dial goes up to 340 km/h and then with a question mark beyond that.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...speedomete.jpg

Opening the engine lid lets us first discover a huge intercooler hiding the rest of the flat 6.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...abrioicpic.jpg

To reach the 700 hp (715 exactly at 7700 RPM and a torque of 79.5mkg at 5200 RPMs Sorry I don't have handy the conversion into NM ) We started by adapting quite big twin turbos, with camshafts modifications and a top end transformation, bored to 98mm to get to 3.4 Ltrs. We started with a 3.3 turbo engine. This fascinating engine is equipped with 6 twin injector multi-butterfly throttle bodies and 6 ignition coils and an electric oil pump.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...brioengine.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...cabriodyno.jpg
Fitting all this under the lid took a lot of work to RS tuning.

The management is taken care of by an electronic ECU which is 100% cartographic?? (maybe they mean "mappable"), engineered in France by Sytel. All this power is taken care of through the usage of an LSD at 60%, a rear anti sway bar of 29mm, a reinforced clutch and 330 mm brakes. The gearbox has an external oil cooler. We note also the presence of 3 exhaust tail pipes, one for each turbo and one for the wastegate. Weight? 1180 Kgs.
First thing to remind you is that this car belongs to a private party, therefore it is not a prototype, and it had already run 35000 kms without any issues.

Our first test will take place with the top on, with one of the persons in charge at RS Tuning. The first surprise comes as the driving is extremely civilized, this convertible drives just like any other turbo 911. The 5 speed gearbox still has the same long shifts of the old ones (RS Tuning can provide you with a 6 speed gearbox also) and the first kms are run in all peace and smoothness. This is where RS Tuning engineers have built a wonderful car that drives just like any other normal Porsche turbo up to 4000 RPMs, which allows you to drive in the city without any issues and without heating up.
After 4000 RPMs, a huge push throws you backwards but here again, very progressively. It is the kick in the *** but you remain on land. The chassis does not move, the steering wheel transmits very controllable sensations, and there is no loss of traction.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...iohotturbo.jpg

Here we are on a highway in Germany, but unfortunately you always need to brake when you get to 300 kms/hr. The Mr. Schmirler lets me know that I am never going beyond the 6500 RPMS, with this one , you can go up to 7800 RPMs and this is where, between 6000 and 7800 RPms all the this animal becomes really alive. This time, the 300 kms/hr. come as quick as a Peugeot 205GTI gets to 150.
So, 300 kms/hr. while it can go up to 360 km/hr, and I do believe it, based on the huge push that I still feel at 300 kms/hr.

Some acceleration numbers have already been recorded by RS TUNING, which leaves us dreaming: 0-60mph in 4.1 “, 0-120mph in 10.1” and the quarter mile in 11.6”. The only issue with this engine is the 5 speed gearbox which seems outdated when compared to the performance of this engine. The 6 speed gearbox would have been the best choice, but this is how the owner of this car wanted it.

Last night I could hardly sleep, you know why, because I had a terrible pain in the neck, and this is the proof that this car outputs 700 hp. The only time in my life when I felt this was when I tested a Super production Almeras (major European racing house)of 650 hp.
So one must well understand that this Porsche is not a race car, it is a convertible with 700 hp, able to run everyday and in all safety.

Technical data:
3,400 cc
Bore x Stroke: 98 x 74.4
Max RPMs: 7800
Max hp: 715 hp at 7700 RPMs
Max Torque: 79.5 Mkg at 5200 RPMs
Twin KKK turbos from 0.8 to 1.4 bar
6 ignition coils, twin plug, 6 butterfly TBs
Gearbox: 5 speed
Brakes: 330 mm
Weight: 1180 Kgs
Tires: 235 ZR 17 and 275 ZR 17.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rs...rioengines.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it.
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 09-20-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:39 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Jean
Good work
I've had that mag lying around for 12 years and my limited French only managed to pick out the numbers.
It is fascinating how the numbers don't seem to stack up on the face of it:
The Cab has a power to weight raio of 615hp/tonne and manages 0-200kph (that is what they meant in the article just poor conversion ) in 10.1seconds
The 533hp 993tt which RS built in '97 had a power to weight ratio of 363hp/tonne and does the 0-200kph in 10.3 seconds
How does that work ???
The cab produces 770NM at 5200rpm which represents 560hp, so the cab has more than the '97s maximum power from 5200 to 7800 rpm and weighs nearly 700lbs less
It must be down to the gearbox which won't shift as well as the 5 speed strengthened 964 unit used in the '97 car, at these frantic levels of acceleration, fractions can be lost on the gear change, and this 5 speeder was based on the old 915 box - my old 911SCs box was a real challenge.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:11 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean,
Thanks for the translation. I think that car must have a quarter mile mph that would suggest low 10's. Probably the car has major traction problems and gearing that could be much better. Anyway, that is a fantastic car.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jean,
Thanks a million for the translation and pictures. Really do apreciate it.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My pleasure guys, it takes me no time at all to translate french/english (or spanish for that matter ) so don't be shy of asking when in need.

TB, I agree with you the figures are a bit disappointing. My guess is as you said, the gearbox is a lowsy choice, although it is more comfortable than a 6 speed as far as having to shift gears more often, and the other thing I can think of are the turbos, I am sure these are maybe K27s at least, and must be dead below 4000 RPMs. PSI Motorsports had suggested a twin K27 setup for my 600 hp engine and then told me no way on a street car as it would be a pig.
Best.
Jean
Old 09-21-2004, 06:30 AM
srupp001
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jean,

thanks a lot for that in depth information of RS .
For a mid eighty's car the performance is from another planet.
These guys were so far in front with these monsters it is unbelieveable.
If I look at my car with "only" 370 rwhp I wonder how they manage it to get a propper peace of traction.
When my engine passes 4000 rpm I don't find grip till 3rd gear,
so how do they manage this?

Stefan

Quick Reply: 800 HP Turbo Beast at ebay !