911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Kokeln turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Lane L
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kokeln turbocharger

I bought an 87 930 fixer upper a year ago. The turbo at a 130,000 miles died. Has anybody used the Kokeln turbo? I bought one a while back but I'm doing the work myself and haven't finished yet. I bought before I found this forum and I never here anybody mention them. Their intercooler is mentioned all the time as one of the best you can buy so why not any mention of the Turbo?

Your wisdom on these cars is admired!

Thanks, Lane
Old 08-26-2004, 04:00 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

A friend had one and thought it was great
Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lane, this is what I got of someone over another site and he knows what hes talking.

I think the Kokeln turbo is a Garret based turbo. The Garret is designed for a water cooled oil lubricated environment, therefore, the oil circuit is not as large as a KKK turbo designed for oil lubrication and cooling. In a Porsche it is designed to flow a large amount of oil to the turbo to both cool it and lubricate it and will overpressurize the bearings of a Garrett and flow oil into the compressor housing. The higher volume scavage pump will help draw the excess volume of oil from the turbo faster. It does work.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:57 AM
mpladson
Advanced

The Kokeln is readily modifiable and rebuildable. I would contact Dwain at http://www.visionmotorsports.com who is is very knowledgable. I would not be afraid to put the turbo on the car but you are correct to do your homework.

Mark
Old 08-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Lane L
Track Day

Thanks for your responses. It came with a smaller oil line replacement. I assume that will reduce the oil flow to take care of the oil problem. Everything seems to be well made, the only complaint is for the amount of money these cost, there were no mounting instructions! i.e. running that oil line? does it connect to the bottom of the oil pressure sending unit? It's hard to chase down those oil lines under all those intake parts!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Brent 930
Racer

Lane,

You made a good choice for a turbo, the skinny braided oil line will replace the oil feed line inside the engine compartment. Before you go "how in the hell am I going to replace it" just listen, remove the turbo first un hooking the oil lines of course. Depending on what air box you have you might have to remove it as well if you have an AC compressor in order to reach around and un hook hook the banjo end of the oil feed line. There is a oil pressure switch there you will re use. The easiest thing to do in this situation is purge the line and tie it down where it is. In order to remove the oil line without damaging it will require you to lower the motor or remove the manifold. OR, you can scrap the line and bend and cut it out of there without removing anything. Then fish the new flexable line through the same path and there you are.

To remove the turbo just remove the nuts at the turbine and exhaust flange (thus removing the muffler) and oil lines. You might want to remove the rear bumper to make it easier.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Lane L
Track Day

Thanks Brent, I'll give it a shot!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Brent 930
Racer

By the way that turbo will be worth every cent you paid. You couldn't have done all the research and testing he did for even 10x the cost of the turbo.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Lane L
Track Day

I wonder why more people don't use them?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Brent 930
Racer

I don't have mine yet but Dwains new street turbo is the one I'm getting. Part of the reason people are not using it is the old school ways. I'm still learning alot and trying to think outside the box. It will catch on sooner or later I think. The setup is reliable which I and other had doubts about.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 PM
ken louie
Instructor

Really Brent. You think that the koklen street turbo will that much better that your k27 Hi-fi from Stephen/Kevin

ken
Old 08-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Lane L
Track Day

I haven't heard of Dwains street turbo, I like thinking outside the box myself! makes it more challenging to do things different rather then follow the pack even if I make a few mistakes along the way. I am making my own exhaust. Took off the cat and using a Full Bore muffler. It's a single in dual out. supposed to flow more then a flowmaster. I'll try to post some pics of my progress next week.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Brent 930
Racer

The Kokeln street turbo is different than the hi-flow. I have a different purpose in mind. The hi-flow is a great turbo for what it is using new technology with the KKK line. It's the best KKK turbo with a modified CIS motor to date. What needs to happen next is a more efficient turbine wheel. At that point the turbo would need to be built up that way from the begining or the cost would be too high, not sure that will ever happen.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:48 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent 930
What needs to happen next is a more efficient turbine wheel. .
The only problem here is you have never seen the maps of the HF and you have no idea of the efficiency of it. It is very efficient.I can assure you that the turbo is better built, will last longer and will not be out performed by the turbo you mention. The technology used in the HF is today technology designed for this application. Not something that was designed then sent to the masses. You have to understand the whole picture to support that statement. I have tested both, I tested the Kokeln when it first came out and even tested it against a K29. Test them both then get back with us.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Brent 930
Racer

Stephen, that is correct I don't have the compressor map and won't go out of my way to have it flowed and get it which I could do. Like I said I have a different purpose in mind and like you said I can't have it all unless I go TT. There is no doubt that compressor wheel is latest and greatest but it's not giving me what I want afterall. That is the bottom line and it's obvious from the inducer and exducer size why that is and like you said yourself it's for 1-1.3bar. One thing is for sure that turbine is way out dated and the Kokeln turbo you tested is in the past as well. Technology and machinery is alot better today (even 2 years later). I'm not worried about the K29 but wanted some data to compare. The Kokeln turbo of today should be equal in reliablity and is beyond the first generation you tested. The turbine was not only better than the KKK to start with but is ALOT better now and the compressor wheel should be as good but different since again I'm looking for a different outcome. Just depends on what you want.

Quick Reply: Kokeln turbocharger