Wiring Harness Question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:08 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Wiring Harness Question....

Hi Guys... I was hoping you could help me out a little.

I have a friend who has a 1985 930 Euro Spec. Turbo. It caught fire this past weekend. He was having a local (re: not Porsche) mechanic 'look' at his air conditioning blower and something shorted out, the mechanic freaked out and the wiring harness COMPELTELY fried. Everything radio, alarm, door locks, it's all gone. However there was no huge fire so nothing happened to the interior, engine or exterior of the car. The wiring harness completely melted. Anyway, to make a long story short, he is in need of a Euro Spec Wiring Harness(?). He has already tried all the usual places, PartsHeaven, Oklahoma Foriegn and Best Deal. They told him that they can't help him because it is a Euro Spec car. His Porsche Mechanic is calling Gert at Carenewal tomorrow. Is there anywhere else he can try? He has had this car since new and had the engine specially built up by Bavarian Coachworks (Clay Doppke) in Indianapolis. I've been driven in this car and I can understand why he wants to rebuid it and not total it. It is a true Monster!

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
JoAnne
Old 08-13-2004, 10:39 AM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried the good old dealer? Last time I check, its about $600 - not cheap but cheaper than I thought.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:46 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PT...

Yes, he tried a couple of dealers first and was told that they could not help him locate the proper harness since it was a Euro car.

Thanks for trying,
JoAnne
Old 08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm... i believe the harness is specific to engine type (930/66 vs 930/68, etc.) as opposed to strictly model year based. You might want to look into that.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if a same year USA version could be used for a ROW car. I've had both and fhave seen very little diferences betwerrn the two in most cases.

What about a breaker in the UK or elsewhere? Don't know anybody, but maybe one of our friends across the pond could help?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help. I will certainly look into it.

I THINK we may have found one that will work for him. This has certainly been an adventure. I suppose he will never EVER let another non Porsche mechanic even look at his car, let alone touch it!

JoAnne
Old 08-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

JoAnne,

According to my brand, spanking new PET (as of Feb 2004), the engine wiring harness for the 85 Euro Turbo has a part number of 930 607 016 02. Fortunately, Porsche seems to have resisted the urge to pinch pennies in the early years by using a model-specific harness as opposed to their now infamous practice of using VIN-specific harnesses!

And as one in the middle of a rebuild on my 79 930, you are correct. These cars are BEASTS and deserve to be maintained by someone who understands what a Porsche engine is. MAN! Is this exercise on my part ever a learning experience. But the results will be well worth the admission price!

Toby
Old 08-15-2004, 12:45 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
JoAnne,

According to my brand, spanking new PET (as of Feb 2004), the engine wiring harness for the 85 Euro Turbo has a part number of 930 607 016 02. Fortunately, Porsche seems to have resisted the urge to pinch pennies in the early years by using a model-specific harness as opposed to their now infamous practice of using VIN-specific harnesses!

And as one in the middle of a rebuild on my 79 930, you are correct. These cars are BEASTS and deserve to be maintained by someone who understands what a Porsche engine is. MAN! Is this exercise on my part ever a learning experience. But the results will be well worth the admission price!

Toby
Toby,
You should drive up here to see this guys engine. Heck, since you have a 930 and are a friend of mine I bet he'd even let you drive it when he gets it back in running order. Seriously, you know I've been in a lot of Porsche's before but this one scares the pants off of me every time! It's like riding the fastest roller coaster in an amusment park!

JoAnne

PS: thanks for the part number. ....

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness Question....