911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ignition switch, again

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ignition switch, again

Figured out that the electrical component of the ignition switch is the problem with no-start. Car starts relaibly if the connector to the switch, under the dash, is pushed in while turning key. I want to remove/inspect/replace the electrical component. Anyone done this? From the under-dash approach, or does the assembly need to come out from the front of the dash? Any help appreciated-TIA (and hopefully not PIA).

Ken
Old 08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only part that is a pain is getting the torx heads out. There is a screw on the top and the bottom of the switch. There are two parts of the switch, the electrical portion and the mechanical portion. The mechanical portion is a real PITA, the electrical just takes time. You can unplug the electrical portion from the underside of the dash. You will see three plugs, I believe it is the middle one. Follow it up from the switch and unplug it there and unscrew it from the mechanical portion. Once that is done it simply pulls out. The bad news is you can not take it apart without destroying it. I would simply pick up another one. Keep in mind when you go to reinstall the shaft is cut on one side to give the switch the proper orientation.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stephen

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can make the switcheroo without getting it screwed up.

Ken

Quick Reply: Ignition switch, again