Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

79 930 Top-End Rebuild, ImagineAuto Stage 3 Upgrade and New Clutch - Do it Yourself!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 79 930 Top-End Rebuild, ImagineAuto Stage 3 Upgrade and New Clutch - Do it Yourself!

Well, the fun began today! Working with a very gracious former 930 owner (a '76 Euro with 934 flares and a whale of a 3.0L motor! ), we have started the tear-down process on my 79 930. We dropped the motor and transmission today. All told, it took us about 6.5 hours. This was my first time to dive into this kind of project. Things went about as smoothly as could be expected with no major problems.

Tomorrow, the heads come off and the cams come out. Then it's clean up time and detail time. While the heads are out for a valve job and the cams are being re-ground, we plan to install my Racer's Group sway bars front and rear, Sander Engineering hollow torsion bars up front, upgrade the clutch to a SPEC competition clutch and generally clean things up/detail the engine.

When we're done, I will have a Stage 3 Imagine Auto car as I already have B&B headers, a K2700-7200 and Kokeln intercooler installed. The new SC cams will be great for the bottom-end and the suspension pieces should make the car handle like a dream. Hopefully, the car will be back on the road before the end of August.

I can't wait!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toby,
way to go, post some pics, show us those beautiful flares.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Day Two! Left side down to heads. Right side Tomorrow!

Day Two! Started at 0900 this morning. Make good progress until we ran up against the pre-tensioner on the clutch pivot arm! Sam, my good friend helping me out (actually he's teaching me so we can do an RS engine together) does not have this "feature" on his 76 930. We must have struggled with that blasted thing for an hour! Of course, if you do not relieve the tension, you cannot rotate the throw-out bearing off of the clutch arm!

With the throw-out bearing rotated, we could pull the transmission and get down to serious business. Engine tin is a VERY TEDIOUS process..... I'm glad that is done. The wiring harness is so-so.... Some of the wires need to be replaced. Found lots of surprises left over from when the car was upgraded to the Kokeln and K27-7200. I am not happy with the work done and will be speaking to the shop here in Dallas that did the work. Really awful!

Anyway, the left side is down to bare heads. Rockers and cam are out and we go after the right side tomorrow evening. If all goes well, I think we'll have the engine apart and parts ready to be sent for machining (heads) and re-grinding (cams). While the machine work is out, we plan to tackle the suspension and generally clean the beast up.

I have to say, this has been a real education. There is nothing at all like these engines. And the plumbing and electrical connections for turbocharging really make things complicated. That said, I'm really enjoying this effort. I'm certain that my good running car (before) will be a BEAST (after) in the not too distant future!

More tomorrow.

P.S. - Stephen, it looks like it will be Wednesday at the earliest to get the cams to you for re-grinding!

Toby
Old 08-02-2004, 03:17 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is in serious need of pictures.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to get the oil/dirt/grease/GoJo residue off my hands before I lay them back on my camera! I should be able to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow. Sorry......

Toby
Old 08-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default A *Few* Pictures

OK, so I keep forgetting to take some pictures BEFORE I start my day's/evening's work on the car. Here are a few shots of the engine before teardown. I'll take more pictures tomorrow evening. BUT....... imagine an engine that only has the six P's&C's mounted to the case with chains hanging out and that's what my engine looks like right now.

Here are some pictures......
Attached Images    
Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Toby, care to tell me which Dallas area shop you're not happy with?
I don't want have similar results.
A PM would probably be most approprite - no need to air dirty laundry in public!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Cleaning Day!

Well, today was cleaning day. We bought out the local WalMart of all of their BrakeKleen cans (about 15 cans!) and lots of rolls of shop towels. I spent most of the day cleaning the camshaft housing and getting clean, smooth mating surfaces. Also cleaned up the chain housing and valve covers. My buddy/mentor Sam was doing the engine cleaning and also cleaned up the intake manifold. I spent all afternoon cleaning the transmission - what a MESS! Anyway, 15 cans of BrakeKleen, a quart or so of the Green Spray clean and lots of scraping has produced a reasonably clean engine, housings and transmission.

We're waiting for the cams to come back from Stephen (ImagineAuto 930 SC grind) as well as air injector plugs and larger than stock rocker shaft seals. The heads go to Stoid's here in Dallas for the valve job as soon as the last four valve keepers and valve spring seats come in on Monday or Tuesday.

My new head studs for the right side (don't ask ) should also be in. Fortunately, all 12 of the original head studs on the right side came loose without breaking! What a relief!

The oil coolers are out at Southwest Oil Cooler for cleaning and pressure testing and should be back next week. I think we're going to try and sweat on an air valve fitting on the hard supply line to the front cooler so we can have a way of draining all the oil during oil changes!

The fan, motor mount and miscellaneous engine tin heads out for powder-coating next week. Now all I need are the rest of my parts (nuts, washers, cold start valve, etc...) and a new fan housing! Whoever last mounted the fiberglass shroud on the housing torqued it too much and cracked the housing! Hopefully, Oklahoma Foreign or PartsHeaven will have one. New ones are about $460!

Here are a few before and after pictures for the engine and transmission from today's efforts.....
Attached Images     
Old 08-08-2004, 12:05 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby:

I'm just finishing mine up:

Engine rebuild pics

I think mating the engine to the tranny when reinstalling is the hardest part, or at least it was for us.

Have fun and good luck.

Brian
Old 08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Very nice pictures. We're not splitting the case during this effort. Your wastegate is a nice one. Is it a factory part? Also noticed that you twin-plugged your engine. Very nice. I'll bet it's a fun drive! I can't wait to get mine put back together and get it back on the road. Thanks again for the pictures.

Toby
Old 08-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Garibaldi
Instructor

Why wouldnt you split the case? The motor is probably tired. Thats like not changing your underwear when your pants are down.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

The case was split and resealed just before I bought the car 3 or so years ago. It was also fitted with new bearings and re-ringed and the oil pump was rebuilt. Essentially there was no need to go after the case again so soon.

Toby
Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Day 28..... The Engine is Back Together - Finally!

Well, it's been a long haul, but my engine is all back together. We're fighting with the clutch release fork to get it to allow the throw-out bearing to rotate onto the fork. Once that is done, this baby is going back up in the car.

The valve guides were well, and truly shot so it's a good thing I did this work. I also found that the carbon build-up was enough in some of the cylinders to probably add a half a point of compression - not good. The car was running WAY to rich. That will be fixed once we get it on the dyno to tune the fuel-air mixture.

Cam timing was a real adventure. I'll bet I put 10 miles on the engine over the course of two days of turning that crankshaft 360 degrees at a time! In the end, we got a 1.52 reading on #1 and a 1.44 reading on #4. But it was quite painful to get to that point. Sheesh!

My Hall Sensor was also toast so we had to re-wire that into the harness (some rocket scientist decided that the factory block connector was too bulky! ) And then there's the engine tin........ Wayne Dempsey forgot to tell us that certain peices need to go on in a certain order to get it properly secured and fitted. The front tin piece took about two hours of owrk last night because of some alignment issues, powdercoated nuts and "hidden" attachment points!!!

The clutch was a no-brainer. Too bad the release fork is not so simple. Not sure if I will have to re-build that assembly or not.

All told, this has been a real education. I've never cleaned so many parts in my life to insure smooth, clean surfaces for sealing purposes. But, I can't wait to finish up and load this engine back into the car. Should be some fun. We're expecting about 365-380HP out of the car when done. Not too shabby for a 2800 lb. bullet.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 79 930 Top-End Rebuild, ImagineAuto Stage 3 Upgrade and New Clutch - Do it Yourself!