Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

CV boot keeps ripping...what could be causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Benny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV boot keeps ripping...what could be causing this?

I have a DE/track preped 930 and after about 8 hours of DE sessions the inner CV boot keeps tearing smearing CV grease all over my rear bumper. Does anyone have any insight to this? I have also seen some trick CV joints that don't have the traditional bellow boots, does anyone have a source for these?

Thanks.

Benny.
bcmchong@hotmail.com
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Brent 930
Racer

I'm puzzled that your CV boot keeps ripping for no apparent reason. I would go ape **** if that happened since there a bitch to replace. When you replaced the boot did you clean everything to make sure there wasn't any small rocks inside? The stock ones should be fine.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Randy
Instructor

You might be surprised at how much heat is generated in the c.v. joints. Many times, when lowering the cars a lot, the driveline angles add to the functioning of the joint as the driveline rotates adding even more heat. One thing that I have found that helps the boots last is to leave the small end of the boot, the part that fits around the axle itself, loose rather than clamping it. I haven't had any issues with grease coming out there.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine come off after every 2nd or 3rd track event. Like Randy, I believe it is the angles, and the cornering that pulls them out.

Brian
Old 07-17-2004, 12:12 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to much play on the shaft the boot will rip. As the joint wears it will twist the boot, then grouped with a bad angle will rip it. You might try not clamping the small end and see if that gives you enough give not to rip the boot.

Quick Reply: CV boot keeps ripping...what could be causing this?