How to Remove Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:30 PM
930_CJ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove Air Filter?

Hello folks,

I've already found a thread on this topic, but I'm not getting anywhere. It's giving me a lot of headaches.

How do I get the air filter out? Also have the AC blocking the actual "pull out" path. I can't go up or to the right.

Attached are a few photos. I can't get any further or can't pull the filter out any further.

I would be very grateful for any tips!

Thanks
CJ

Old 05-03-2024, 03:10 PM
David Delano
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the world of 930's. Everything is tight and hard to get to. Try changing your spark plugs. Advice: plan ahead to do several things when you are 'in there' because getting in there requires some effort. The simplest way to do this is to remove the two 10mm bolts on the top of the airbox on the intake of the air meter, lift the entire airbox off (it has a small lip on it) and move it as far as you can to the left rear of the car to give you enough room to slide the air filter out and up. it's possible with some fudging. Reverse to put it back. There are some hoses attached to the back of the airbox and the right side for the Aux Air and AAR that you may have to loosen / remove to be able to lift and move the airbox. Worst case is intercooler and intake comes out to do this. Ever wonder why repairs and maintenance on Porsche's is so high? It's not (always) because the mechanics are more skilled... :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by David Delano:
930_CJ (05-03-2024), ghunter997.2 (Yesterday)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:35 PM
930_CJ
3rd Gear

Many thanks for the tip.
I'll try it out tomorrow.

I still have a small question. Can I also get the fuel filter out with a bit of fiddling or does the whole turbo box have to come out? Is that the only option or can I get it out from the side with a bit of fudging and replace it?
Old 05-03-2024, 05:42 PM
David Delano
Advanced

Note that there is a nut that holds the air box into position in the center underside about half way from the air filter to the air meter end that needs to be loosened (not removed) to allow you to lift the air box up enough to free it. I have never tried the fuel filter change with the intercooler in place. Everything is easier to get at with the IC removed and it's not that hard. If you plan to service or work on your 930 I would recommend getting used to removing and replacing it. I'd say the frustration level of trying to leave it in and work around it is more than the time effort to take it out and put it back in... :-)
The following users liked this post:
930_CJ (05-03-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:55 PM
930_CJ
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the tip.
You mean the screw in the attachment (picture), right? Because even if this is very loose (not completely off) the box moves zero. It is still firmly in the saddle. If I have understood correctly, is it enough to loosen it? Are the steps above then obsolete or additional? Because this variant sounded easier.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:14 AM
David Delano
Advanced

You have to do both the bolts on top of the air meter / intake side as well as the one in your picture then you can lift the intake side off the air meter and slide the entire assembly off to the left so it opens up the gap to get the air filter out and back in. When inserting the new one be careful not to pinch the foam sealing surface around the air filter with the box. Ensure it is seated correctly with the spring clips closed before reinstalling the air box.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:16 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by David Delano
Note that there is a nut that holds the air box into position in the center underside about half way from the air filter to the air meter end that needs to be loosened (not removed) to allow you to lift the air box up enough to free it. I have never tried the fuel filter change with the intercooler in place. Everything is easier to get at with the IC removed and it's not that hard. If you plan to service or work on your 930 I would recommend getting used to removing and replacing it. I'd say the frustration level of trying to leave it in and work around it is more than the time effort to take it out and put it back in... :-)
I would agree with this quote. Other than maybe exchanging the oil filter or the fan belt, almost every other maintenance item in the 930 is easier with the intercooler out, which takes probably less than 5 minutes. I can't recall if I've had to remove the IC to swap out the air filter, but I would definitely recommend it for the fuel filter.

Last edited by Noah930; 05-10-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:14 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

Loosen the two bolts on top of airbox lid and that will give you enough room to pull the filter out.

Quick Reply: How to Remove Air Filter?