911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Are we a dying breed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to resurrect this thread.

Some really great discussion here and so enjoyable to read. I am only 19 years old and I aspire to a 930 in the next 5-10 years myself. We are certainly not dying out.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dying breed - no. Aging?...well, yes. Words are not sufficient to describe the pashion we have for the 930's. At 57, for me it's like jumping into a time machine. Or, if you can recall the old Woody Allen movie where smoking cigarettes was good for you and they had this phonebooth-sized machine that you stepped into for errotic pleasures....it was called the Orgasmatron. When I close the door on my 930, it verges on orgasmic.

Last edited by Mark Houghton; 08-23-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
cardsrule
Pro

I will say modifying 930's are over. I remember when everyone was talking about adding more hp and other stuff. I don't see or hear about nearly as much now. We don't do big HP 930 at work like we used too... I think they are turning into collector cars now, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In late 1975, I was lucky enough to get to go to the New York Auto Show. I had just turned 13 and this was my second visit to the NYAS.

My first trip was in '69 at age 7 and this trip was followed by a quick stop over at Max Hoffman's store to pick up my fathers new 911.

At the '75 Auto Show (we went straight to the Porsche display) I saw this mind-blowing winged 911 with these absurdly exaggerated flares.

It was this crazy light light blue with bright blue interior and some kinda hallucinogenic graphics in this futuristic hippie font that said Turbo on the flanks.

I begged my father to buy it and he promptly told me that he had purchased his last 911 ('69) and with five kids and a recently new house ('73) he wasn't getting another.

He condescendingly told me that if I wanted this crazy car ....... I should buy it !

So 30 years later, I found that 1976 Ice Blue (360 paint code) Turbo Carrera from the New York Auto Show and I DID !

Last edited by The Baron; 12-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 AM
JGC930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
In late 1975, I was lucky enough to get to go to the New York Auto Show. I had just turned 13 and this was my second visit to the NYAS.

My first trip was in '69 at age 7 and this trip was followed by a quick stop over at Max Hoffman's store to pick up my fathers new 911.

At the '75 Auto Show (we went straight to the Porsche display) I saw this mind-blowing winged 911 with these absurdly exaggerated flares.

It was this crazy light light blue with bright blue interior and some kinda hallucinogenic graphics in this futuristic hippie font that said Turbo on the flanks.

I begged my father to buy it and he promptly told me that he had purchased his last 911 ('69) and with five kids and a recently new house ('73) he wasn't getting another.

He condescendingly told me that if I wanted this crazy car ....... I should buy it !

So 30 years later, I found that 1976 Ice Blue (360 paint code) Turbo Carrera from the New York Auto Show and I DID !
Amazing story and stunning 930, Im 24 and I have always loved the 930 and here in my country they are extremly rare and after a long search I found the perfect one a few months ago, an '81 Euro with amazing provenance, 7,000 kms and in a very rare dark blue color I could not be happier, I will post some pictures after it is ready from a complete cleaning and detailing
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron

That is a great story and a beautiful car. I too will soon be in the market and am going the 930 route. They are great cars. Something about that fat *** that does it for me. As others have said. A lot of high HP cars out there but for me it is all about the fun factor and memories the 930(as well as a 911) would bring.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM
FJS951
6th Gear

That is a great story and very cool!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

I don't think a dying breed.

I do see the 930 as now becoming more of a collectible though, and pristine stock examples are sought for that purpose.

I'm going to make it a point to take a day trip out to california to look at
the blue hot rod I have been eyeing...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Dying breed yes, on the verge of the next big thing in the Pcar world? Yup.

I started off on an e30 bimmer, then to a 944, then a 951...and taken to the darkside with a 930S wanna be '82 euro car converted in '88.

Dad raised me to know one truth, the 930S is the street version of the baddest mother of them all...since then i've been bitten by the bug and from 25 on its all I can live and breathe.

Long story short, our group of guys, Fünf Gruppen is our way of bringing it back - reintroducing the widow maker, the car that requires a driver of skill, not of money...showing Porsche AG the way back to the light we like to think.

Our group has guys from 24 to mid 60's...we drive these cars.....hard...and inspire bystanders to the tune of turbines screaming, gargantuan tires howling violent songs...and remind them where the true original sportscar came from.

Dying yes, but Fünf Gruppen is just the epi-shot needed to pass the torch to the next gen.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 PM
cardsrule
Pro

We were just talking about how early 930's are going to be the next big collector 911 at work today. One of our customers is moving to Germany and he is looking to buy a few 930's and import them because they are the new hot car classic car over there...hopefully that trend moves to this side of the pond.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Well all it takes is for a bunch of 930's to get imported back to the motherland for people in US to take notice. It will be same thing that happened with the early cars, they will be cheaper in US and generally in much better condition, we pamper our Porsche's the German's drive them.
Phil
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Great Story!

Baron,

That is a remarkable story. The car looks perfect, can you tell us more about it? Original or restored etc.? This year I was fortunate to pick up '76 Turbo Carrera #62 ... what a car!

All the best,

Tom
Old 09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Guns nailed it. I am old but not dead. plus I just got my eyes fixed so I can see that boost gauge like it`s a basketball. 930s are impossible to equal. newer Turbos are just fast appliances.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I sold my 997 which was a beautiful car and absolutely trouble free while being easy as hell to drive very fast. I've had the 930 a week now and I love it more each time I drive it. This is a Porsche! If this is dying hopefully it takes a while.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 09-05-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TKO
Baron,

That is a remarkable story. The car looks perfect, can you tell us more about it? Original or restored etc.? This year I was fortunate to pick up '76 Turbo Carrera #62 ... what a car!

All the best,

Tom
Tom,

The NYAS Turbo is Chassis # 41
44,000 miles
Original Paint
Original interior
matching numbers
no accidents

Unusual in that this car (although a U.S.spec & numbered car) was not supposed to stay in the U.S. for public resale. It was supposed to be used for Executives and "press" work after the Auto show and then eventually returned to Stuttgart.

But at the '75 New York Auto Show, a doctor from New Orleans relentlessly hounded the Porsche execs to sell him this car and since he was part owner of the New Orleans Porsche dealer and a PCA member, Porsche gave in and sold it to him.

This is why this particular U.S serial numbered car has Euro headlights, tail lights and front markers. It also came without those dreaded thermal reactors

This car has an unbroken & well documented chain of owners. I am the eighth owner and all seven prior owners were in the New Orleans area. It had

As soon as I took possession in late '05, I had the motor (using ARP head studs) and turbo rebuilt.

It's not perfect (100 point) but it is a really really nice unrestored survivor that made out of New Orleans before Katrina hit !

Last edited by The Baron; 12-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Are we a dying breed?