Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Correct tire pressure for the 930

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well mine's a euro model, and the rear tire contact patch story seems consistent with what I've seen and experienced, although I said "cupped" bow is probably a better description of the phenomena. I haven't tried to run the fronts that low before. As cold as it outside in FL right now if I check pressures they may be close though ;-)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
In North America it says 29/36 while in Euope the same car is 29/44. A Pirelli Tech explained it to me once.

In Europe the cars spent a significant amount of time at high speed on the autobahn. When running at such high speeds, the carcass of a wide low profile radial will bow out in the middle due to centrifugal forces. The higher rear pressure helps keep the tread face flat.

He then went on to explain that all those general tire books are outdated. When the Popular Mechanic's guide shows that tire wear in the center is caused by over inflation, they are not referring to modern high performance low profile radial tire. In this case it's actually caused by under inflation.
That's the best logical description I've heard. Even though my US car manual says 29/44, I read this to mean that for a car who's road time is spend at speeds "legal" to the states, then running the lower pressures wouild actually be more appropriate.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry I should add that I never run the front that low either. I usually run about 2-4 lbs difference front to rear. Usually 32-36 or so for the street.

On the track I run about 37-38 hot all around. I'm using Toyo R888 R-Comps 225/295 on 9/11x18. I run the same tires on the street.

Quick Reply: Correct tire pressure for the 930