911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Cam identification?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 10:52 PM
wakeboardcraze
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam identification?

Tearing down my new project car and am trying to identify what cams I got. So far just exposed the end of the oil pump since wife called me in from the garage. They are stamped EMI 238.. any ideas? Pic posted. Car is 1985 911 turbo3.3. Mods from early to mid 90’s
Old 01-18-2023, 03:29 PM
David Delano
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That looks like the end of the intermediate shaft that drives the scavenge pump on the back side of the engine (toward the front of the car - drivers side). If that is what it is this is not a camshaft but the intermediate shaft driven off the crankshaft by gear. Cams are one on each side - front side of engine (front facing) under the timing chain covers. Only visible after removing cam sprockets, spacers. Not sure if the cams are marked on the ends or not. Some may be.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:10 PM
wakeboardcraze
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by David Delano
That looks like the end of the intermediate shaft that drives the scavenge pump on the back side of the engine (toward the front of the car - drivers side). If that is what it is this is not a camshaft but the intermediate shaft driven off the crankshaft by gear. Cams are one on each side - front side of engine (front facing) under the timing chain covers. Only visible after removing cam sprockets, spacers. Not sure if the cams are marked on the ends or not. Some may be.
that’s exactly what this is. Scavenge pump, I was told it ran off the camshaft ! Guess I had incorrect information. I’ll continue tear down and see

Last edited by wakeboardcraze; 01-18-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:16 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

This is the left camshaft, the intermediate shaft is under the crankshaft and only has an exit from the engine case at the front.

The left camshaft drives the oil suction pump for the turbocharger and, via a timing belt, the additional air pump, if equiped.

Fritz
Old 01-19-2023, 08:40 AM
wakeboardcraze
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fritz k.
This is the left camshaft, the intermediate shaft is under the crankshaft and only has an exit from the engine case at the front.

The left camshaft drives the oil suction pump for the turbocharger and, via a timing belt, the additional air pump, if equiped.

Fritz
I was wondering how this would be a crank driven intermediate shaft.. the oil scavenger pump is on the cam (that’s the end of cam showing) and sump/engine oil pump on intermediate shaft driven by crank. Still need to find time to complete tear down and check everything over
Old 01-19-2023, 01:04 PM
David Delano
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My mistake - Fritz is correct. The gear driven (off the crankshaft) intermediate shaft drives the internal oil pump, not the external scavenge pump.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:52 PM
wakeboardcraze
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by David Delano
My mistake - Fritz is correct. The gear driven (off the crankshaft) intermediate shaft drives the internal oil pump, not the external scavenge pump.
all good my man! gotta take this thing down further to find out what is in it. tomorrow should be the day

Quick Reply: Cam identification?