911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How difficult to retrofit R134?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult to retrofit R134?

I have not been "driven" the 89 regularily for about 6-7 months now since I use the 928S as my daily driver instead.

One of the problems I have found out recently is that the A/C clutch engages but the air from the fan is no longer cold. The tiny ball which indicates the level of R12 level sinks to the botton of the observation glass at the driver wheel well. I realize I should have run the A/C system at least once a month to make sure the seals are soft and leak-free, but I have not done so for sometimes.

Now I suspect the original R12 refrigrant has been slowly escaped to the atmosphere because the car has been sitting or at least the A/C has not been used for awhile. The last time I used the A/C was about 6 months ago and the air was cold.

I wanted to find out from this board if it is possible to retrofit the A/C system with the new R134 refrigrant with minimum changing or replacing with new parts.

How does the "do it yourself" kit work? Has anyone successfully converted the A/C system using any of the off-the-shelf kits? Assuming the original R12 refrigrant are gone completely from the system now, could I just refill the unit with R134? Should I need to purge the system? How? And refill with R134 and lubricant?

Your advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not an expert, but if I recall correctly, you would need to change at least your compressor and all your lines to the barrier type. An R-134 molecule is smaller than an R-12 molecule and will leak out quickly from your factory lines.

As a side note, the factory lines are pricked with very tiny holes to begin with. Don't ask me why. I suppose when Freon was a dollar a can, you could charge it up for five bucks so who cared that it leaked. You got new Freon every year or two.

I switched to a product called Duracool. Cheap and available. Here's a link to copy and paste: http://www.duracoolusa.com/

They also sell the equipment to install it.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Porsche930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick response here and at 911 Turbo board! Did you have to replace any parts with the Duracool product? I am going to check out details at the website. What was involved to make the change? Did you simply follow the exact instruction from Duracool website? Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Porsche930
Did you have to replace any parts with the Duracool product?
Not a one!

Quick Reply: How difficult to retrofit R134?