Dillema,pls help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dillema,pls help.

Hi guys,

I dont know whom to turn to and I guess you'll would be able to advise me best.

Now I've spent like US70k on my car on upgrades(Ruf BTR) and restoration and theres no way anyone would pay me a premium if I were to sell my car. I would only get the market price and a huge loss which I put into my car.
Recently one guy offered me the market price of the car PLUS about 30 percent of the money I put into my car on upgrades, restoration. Buyers like these dont come easy. Usually one would get nothing back for the amount of time and money invested into the car.

1.Should I sell my car or just keep it?

2.If yes to sell it, should I go for a stock 993TT or the Ferrari F355? My current rides about 450fwhp currently and will outrun the F355 but I do like the F355 in some ways. I'm confused...help!

Please help me here because I'm starting to have sleepless nights over this issue. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes???
Old 05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Wet1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone that puts that kind of money into a car knows it's wasted money... period. So when you did it you must have thought it was going to be your dream car and something you were going to keep. Is it? If not, you just made a very poor investment.

If you're considering selling it to move on then it's a good offer. But I wouldn't sell because you had a good offer. If the money was that important, you wouldn't have wasted it on the mods to begin with.

BTW, if you just want to throw $ out the window, send it to me and I'll give you back a small fraction of the original amount... that's what you'd be doing if you're so excited about getting 30% back.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-05-2004, 05:17 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Sameer,

Keep the car and buy the Ferrari. You can always sell the car later if you decide.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the car. You'll kick youself if you sell it.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet1,
Yes you are correct, I did put in so much money into the car because I thought I was going to keep it very long. Dont get me wrong, I do love enjoy driving her and shes so full of character but I ask myself sometimes, what will I get back if I do want to sell her down the road few years later. This is what gets me ticking and I know at the end of the day it's for me to decide but just want to hear what youguys have to say as we all have the same passion.

Curious, what are the stock 1980's 930s going for?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Sameer: My thoughts, if you don't mind. You will never find a buyer who can / will appreciate all that you have put into your car - I sold my '89 930 3.4 with tons of Ruf upgrades at far below what I paid for it and far below what I thought it was worth - but I got what the market was bearing at the time I wanted to sell.

Being an accountant, there is a term of art - it's called a "sunk cost". You have "sunk" a fair amount of money into your car. I sunk a lot of money into my '89. That money is, for the most part, un-recoverable (i.e. sunk). To me, this was our cost of "enjoyment" - our cost of ownership.

I sunk money into the '89 with the thought that it would be the last turbo I would ever want. So spend I did. Then the '97 993tt came along. I owned both turbos for more than 2 years not wanting to get rid of either. Last summer I decided one had to go. I agonized another month or so until I decided the 993tt was the car I wanted.

I sold the '89 for a huge loss, but I'm not mad and I can't look back. It was a great car. It provided tons of smiles - it was the smiles that made those "sunk" costs all worth it.

Drive what your passions (and wallet) allow. Enjoy the memories of past cars. Live to drive what's in your garage today. Fulfill your passions and drive hard.

Someone will buy your Ruf at what the market will bear at that time, which, unfortunately will probably be far below your cost + upgrades. You cannot control the market, unfortunately. If you decide to sell, take what the market will bear (or don't sell) and move on.

My two cents...

Dan
Old 05-06-2004, 05:09 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sameer:

Why do want a Ferrari? Talk about a money bit.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:41 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Dan.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:54 AM
pete77930
Racer

My personal Opinion, I've drivin a 355 spyder with the standard 6 spd and
yes, it was fun, handled great, had awesome brakes, but. after jumping out of my modded 930 and into the 355, it felt sluggish just didn't have that seat of the pants feel that I love. The 355 is also N/A as I'm sure you're aware of and that doesn't leave a lot of potential for modifacations. If I was in your shoes right now and I really wanted a 993tt, I would get a loan for it. But I would just keep your 930. There is no substitute.

just my .02
Old 05-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Sameer--

Unless you have to finnacially, don't even go there. It makes absolutely on sense to worry about the market value of a car like yours--those costs are sunk, and have been sunk since the moment you opened your checkbook. That way madness lies.

Sounds to me like you think you've reached the reasonable limit of mods on the car given your situation, and you're jonesing for a fresh fix. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, though, a F355 would never be an "instead" car. It would be an "also" car. Not comparable to the 930 at all.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:46 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a buyer that is willing to pay more than you will ever see later. If you loved this car, you wouldn't have this dilemma and we wouldn't be writing these replies. So with the good offer, sell it now and move on to something you like better.

Really, not a 355. If you want to go that direction look for a V12
Old 05-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Sameer

I followed on several forums your modificatons, amazing effort. If I can give my opinion, add one more to the list, not a 355! I drive my neighbours' very often, no comparison vs my modded 965, let alone my 993TT. Good looks but the driving experience, to put it in Porsche words, is just not there. I would not tell you to keep your 911 either, if you consider the price to be good for Singapore standards, sell it and get a 993TT, with a chip alone and hybrid Hi -flow turbos you will see more hp and torque than you can imagine. Then add a couple of flares and you have the aggressive looks.
I am selling my 965 for around $50k, It has over $40k on mods alone, with 3k miles since they were done..to fund a 600 hp 993 TT project. Does not mean I am smart, but handling and drivability of a 993 TT is far superior. You can get to 500hp quite easily, no EFI conversions or similar headaches.
The only upside is the looks of the 930 and 965, simply unmatchable.
Just my 02cents.
Follow your gut feeling.
Best,
Jean
Old 05-07-2004, 06:12 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I say keep the 930. You know what youve put into it, you enjoy it, it runs like a scalded dog. What more in life is there?

The F355 is beautiful and a splendid car too in so many ways. But the 930 is the original measuring stick by which all others were measured and by which all supercars today pretty much owe their gratitude from.

Quick Reply: Dillema,pls help.