Hard Warm Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004 | 10:07 AM
mmeany
Intermediate

Default Hard Warm Start

Hi All,
Hope you are all well.
I am having trouble with a warm start problem. Starts pretty well when cold but after driven, shut down, and a restart is tried, it takes forever to catch. If I keep cranking and mat the gas pedal, it will eventually start, rough at first then smoothing out. After checking past posts, I'm thinking fuel accumulator.
I have a few questions, where is the best (correct) place to tap into the fuel line to check residual fuel pressure? The accumulator looks like a simple enough swap. I'm thinking just remove the compression nuts with a flare nut wrench and replace. Anything I have to do to prep the accumulator before or after it is installed?
Thanks for your help.
M
Old 04-24-2004 | 11:26 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Sounds about right but it could still be a WUR problem. You need a CIS fuel tester which will hook up between the middle line from the head to the WUR. This is something all people should have running CIS. Then you can check all your fuel pressure and know for sure what is going on.
Old 04-25-2004 | 03:49 AM
Sameer
Race Car

For me I changed my accumulator, wur and many others but nothing seems to fix it correct in hot start. I'm having the same symptoms as you have M. According to my local turners, they tell me that theres a leak in my fuel distributor and have to have it serviced. I cant think of anything else, I've practically changed everything to new during the rebuilt accept the fuel distributor which I must say is already of age.
Old 04-26-2004 | 01:29 PM
mmeany
Intermediate

Thanks Gents,
Brent, where could I get such a tester and what should I expect to pay for it? Also, newbie question, what is WUR and is the head you describe the cylinder head or something else?
Old 04-26-2004 | 01:37 PM
Wet1
Instructor

You may want to check your mixture. When I have mine set very rich I have the same problem. If I lean it out a little the problem goes away. I prefer to leave it on the rich side (about 4%) for the added protection on the top end... I'd rather deal with the tough starting.
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:01 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Check the net, around $90. WUR is warm up regulator, the head is the fuel distributor.
Old 05-24-2004 | 03:37 PM
mmeany
Intermediate

Got it Gents,
It was the accumulator. Pretty easy to change and the car runs, stops and starts like a champ. Thanks for your help.
M

Quick Reply: Hard Warm Start