first timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 07:00 PM
cale
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first timer

Guys (and gals?):
I have been floating around here for a while trying to figure out exactly what vintage and type of toy I want to pick up.

Then a sweet 76 930 popped up on my radar...

A friend of mine happens to be going on a trip to where the car is, so he is going to check it out, give it at least a superficial once over before I decide on making the guy and offer and getting a PPI done.

My question is, what are the major things to look for right from the get-go that make this a car to walk away from?
My friend is decently knowledgeable about cars, but won't exactly have the tools for a thorough inspection. Mostly I just want some honest pictures and a trusted opinion on the condition of the car.

Thanks for any help.

For what its worth, I'm also looking at the 72-73 911s, with the intention of eventually making it into some kind of monster.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
pete77930
Racer

I hope I'm not too late to reply but have him look under the carpets for rust, when he listens too the engine make sure the valves aren't too noisey, look for service records, check the cylinders for leaks at the base gaskets. look at the condition of all the oil lines to see if their cracked or dry rotted. look to see if its a repaint, if it is make sure it was done rite(door jams, masking job, no overspray, etc.) for your common knowledge i paid 19500 for my 77 and it was in excellent cosmetic shape,(good enough to win the tajmagaraj concours 2 yrs in a row) but I "accidentally" blew the motor in it 2 weeks after i bought it(had very noisy valves andone of them colided with the piston.) best of luck to you and your search.
Pete
Old 04-30-2004, 05:50 PM
cale
Instructor

Thanks for the help Pete. Unfortunately my friend is back from checking out the car already, but he said everything looked amazing.
The car has been stripped and repainted, and the engine was recently rebuilt as well. I talked to the insurance company yesterday and checked out a garage today. I just need to find a place in the Vegas area to have a PPI done and I think I may make myself a 930 owner. Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Pete is stretching the truth a little bit. Part of the reason he won the Taj show is that hes got that thing powered by a space shuttle rocket booster. the car would probably run on methanol if Sunoco had a pump for it.

Still though his car does look great. Yellow always does well at car shows too. Two things Ive always found: yellow does well and 89 Speedsters always take home a ribbon.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:11 PM
pete77930
Racer

UD, just don't go telling NASA that I borrowed some of their equipment...lol
I filled it up with 110 leaded race gas at the marathon station down in Franklin quite a bit for those 20lb boost runs but I can't find race gas at a pump for the life of me down here in north cakalack. and as far as the taj best of show crown this year...I hope your scrubbing and polishing because I can't take the time off work to trailer her up there. I would quit work but then I would have no way to pay for mods and gas...and with her sucking it down at 8 mpg on weekend drives, its a pricey way to clear out the Sunday morning cobwebs.

Quick Reply: first timer