Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Jim Harding
Addict
Rennlist
Tech. Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help please....

First of all, I would like to apologize in advance for submitting this question to you guys. You are probably tired of answering these "what do I look for" questions. Anyway, if somebody out there can direct me to a resource where I can find my answer, I would really appreciate it. ...now the question...

My business partner, like me, is a Porsche fan and is currently in the market to purchase a 930. More specifically, he is looking for a 1988 model year, turbo, cab. He has located a couple of them but because this is his first purchase like this, he really doesn't know what to look for and what might be problematic with that year, model and configuration. He is not an internet/e-mail type guy so he asked me to see what I could find out for him.

This is my second year being a member of Rennlist and I have always received great help from the membership here. I am hoping that somebody in Rennlist-land will be able to direct me to where I can find an answer or possibly give me a quick run-down on what to look for.

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry about the newbie question. Have a great day!!

Jim
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
markwemple
Instructor

Look to bruce anderson's book and ask the people in pca. There is a designated person who will answer your question with grea specificity. I would say, past that, I am no turbo expert but I do know that they see greater abuse so make sure that maintenance was done to an extreme degree. Check for play in the turbo and smake at start-up. Beyond that, best of luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Jim Harding
Addict
Rennlist
Tech. Advisor

Mark,

Thank you for your advise and your reply. PCA would be a great source. I appreciate you taking time to help. This will be my business partner's first experience in P-car ownership so I want him to get off on the right foot.

Thanks Mark.

Jim
Old 04-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Big Ed
6th Gear

Hey Jim,

As an owner of a 1988 Turbo Cab, I would suggest not limiting his search to that model year. The '87s are exactly the same as the '88s. '89s are usually more pricey, but you get the G50-50 5 speed. When I was specifically looking for a turbo cab I tried to find the best example for the price from model years '87-'89.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Jim Harding
Addict
Rennlist
Tech. Advisor

Mike,

Thanks for the help. I will pass your message on to Curt, my partner and see if he can expand his focus to some additional model years.

Jim
Old 04-09-2004, 03:24 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you would be using it for street driving and want a clean stock car. Yes watch out for modified cars they are abuse. Make sure the car has service records, when it starts if it has smoke, a little is normal but lots may be sign of valve guide wear. A blown turbo will smoke all the time so that is easy to watch. Have the car inspected. Other than that they are not much different as from buying a regular 911.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Jim Harding
Addict
Rennlist
Tech. Advisor

Thanks Eddie. I'll pass on the information.

Jim
Old 04-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jim:

I'd add my recommendation for the 89 Turbo with the 5-speed tranny. Its a HUGE improvement over the 4-speed cars and well worth the premium.

Let me know if I can help in any way and please tell your partner to call me, if he wants to.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim,
After 86 when the 911 turbo was reintroduced back into the US the cars were nearly the same. 89 as everyone has mentioned had the g50. Personally I think the choice to 5 speed or not all depends on the amount of power and what you are going to do with the car. I personally loved the 4 speed. It came in handy with the big power I was making.

Also FWIW I am in Kansas City. Only a couple of hours from you guys. If you need any help I am only a stones throw away. I actually have a all original 77 in the shop from your area. Maybe you have seen it, Mint Green with green interior??
Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Jim Harding
Addict
Rennlist
Tech. Advisor

Rennlist is the best! Thanks to Steve and Stephen for their comments and willingness to help. Someday, I will own a 911 Turbo along with my 968 and I will know that I can count on the Rennlist crew for great information and volunteerism. Curt has found a couple of really nice cars that just might end up in his garage in the very near future. Stay tuned and thanks again to everybody for their time and assistance!

Jim

Quick Reply: Help please....