Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

CIS Problems, HELP!! PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
ZLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CIS Problems, HELP!! PLEASE!!!

Anyone who can help me,

I left my house this morning to go to work and my car was working fine. Started up like normal and drove normal. After a few minutes I was about 2 1/2 miles away from my house pulling out of my neighborhood and my car dies. I start it up again and begin to accelerate and a few seconds later the same thing. It is not a complete fuel cut because it doesn't just die, it kind of trickles down until it dies and doesn't let me give any throttle input at all. I had to limp it back to my house starting it up and dying (good thing I didn't get too far). I started it up and just let it idle and it did for about 30 seconds then died. When I got back I called up a friend of mine and he said that it was probably the fuel filter being clogged or something. I had a spare filter at my house so I let the car cool then I threw it on. I took it for a spin around the block and everything was running great. I threw some revs and boost at it and it was fine. But as I returned to the front of my house it died again, same ****. I checked and there are no vacuum/boost leaks, the car is definately getting fuel because it ran great for the first few minutes, it is not misfiring so the ignition is good. What could it be? It runs fine until the engine starts to warm up and gets close to operating temp!! Stephen?????? Steve????????? You guy know your ****, please help!!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Check your fuses. I had similar problems and found my fuel pump fuse had a hairline fracture, fell apart in my hand when I pulled it out to check.

It could also be a bad fuel relay. Try swapping them with others in your car (fog lights etc..)

John
Old 04-07-2004, 01:00 PM
ZLP

The fuses and relays were the first thing I checked and all are fine. I think it is something related to the engine temp somehow.

Last edited by ZLP; 04-07-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it sounds like a warm up regulator problem or CO mixture. My car had an extreemley rich mixture and it would die like yours when warm. The hard part is you need a gas analyzer to check CO.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:44 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We need to establish what is going down. When it occurs lets check the simple things, look for spark then fuel. If both are present then hook up a set of CIS gauges and check the pressures-cold/hot and at rest then rest after 15 minutes. Let me know what you find and I can walk you through it. Chances are from as you describe the WUR pressures are not correct and during cold may be to high resulting in a lean condition when cold.

You can drop me a call if you would like.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:45 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I assume this is on your 930? Look one more time at the seal at the rear of your IC, were it goes into the throttle body(atleast thats how mine works). Yours sounds like what happened on mine, and I thats what it was. They are really hard to tell if the leak is there. Good luck, I know you said you checked it, but you seem to have ruled out the other possibilities.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
ZLP

Thanks for all your help guys. I really do not have the time to troubleshoot this today so I brought it over to a local Porsche shop. Stephen, you have mail.

Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Brent 930
Racer

I second what Stephen said.

Quick Reply: CIS Problems, HELP!! PLEASE!!!