Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Updated my web page 700hp 930

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Randy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plumb the exhaust from the blow off valve back into the system leading into the turbo inlet, the intake charge that would otherwise be wasted to atmosphere helps keep the turbo spooled up. It will just kind of cycle while the throttle butterfly is closed. It helps your throttle response, although I suspect what you have is pretty good regardless.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good idea. Your right it works pretty good as it is.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dknebes,
I have downloaded that video of yours onto my home computer... Since I don't get to drive my car till the weekends, (since I reside in Manhattan), I get the fix by watching videos, as such...

Bottom line is! Make more! I'm fiending for boost over here!!

Regards,

Greg
Old 03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Randy,

I've never heard of anyone recycling vented air from the BOV. Have you seen it done? I know that for a CIS car, you don't want to dump air that's already been metered and accounted for, but with EFI, I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Any thoughts?

Rob
Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
koenig911
Intermediate

David -

I thought that the TEC2 only did single plug. Maybe you have the older TEC1.

Did Essatech tune the TEC and how is your drivibility and cold starts.

I am considering using a TEC2 and would like any feedback about this system. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Joe at Essa did the initial tune but I have learned allot and have it tuned pretty good. I started with the tec1 and upgrade the chip so I could run wintec2 on windows. It has on the fly. It works as good as stock on cold starts but I have had a small problem with it being lean on warm starts but goes away as soon as you start to drive. I will probably upgrade to Tec3 for $1500. I also have a wideband O2 with a meter in the car. It gives me Datalog and with the datalog that I get from my tec2 I can do a good job of setting up the maps. Tec3 now has wideband O2 capability and would suggest going that route because of the datalog with a/f. Don't get me wrong, I have my car running very good with the Tec2 but would like some of the newer features with Tec3 like 16 X 16 tables for finer tunning. If the price is right a Tec2 works fine. I do have twin plugs.

David
Old 03-19-2004, 08:17 PM
C4TT
Pro

Originally posted by Rob S
Hey Randy,

I've never heard of anyone recycling vented air from the BOV. Have you seen it done? I know that for a CIS car, you don't want to dump air that's already been metered and accounted for, but with EFI, I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Any thoughts?

Rob
This is generally something you see done on cars that don't come turboed form the factory. My Supercharged M3 and M coupe both recirculated the boost into the system..
Porsches release the boost to the atmosphere, because I believe recirculating it would be too much for the motor... You would essentially over boost it.

I will ask a pro, and get back to you...

Greg
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 PM
ZLP

Originally posted by C4TT
This is generally something you see done on cars that don't come turboed form the factory. My Supercharged M3 and M coupe both recirculated the boost into the system..
Porsches release the boost to the atmosphere, because I believe recirculating it would be too much for the motor... You would essentially over boost it.

I will ask a pro, and get back to you...

Greg
Greg,

When you're recirculating back into the intake track you are venting charged air into uncharged air. You are not forcing anymore air into the motor so you will not be able to over boost the car at all. Think of it like you are spraying compressed air into the airbox because basically that is what you are doing. Also, there are no performance gains venting it to any certain place.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:10 AM
aus930
Intermediate

venting back to the inlet tract is common place on japanese turbo cars and i beleive to reduce noise more than anything else.

i cant stand the noise of a external venting bov,too fast and furious for me. i would vent back for that reason personally.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:02 PM
C4TT
Pro

I asked a friend, and here is what he said:
In certain cars, like the BMWs, the air flow meter needs to read a certain amount of air flowing through the system. The air being recirculated is going back into the system before the supercharger, not into the manifold. So there is no overboost...
So if this air was pumped out of the system, the car would stall.

Other cars which vent to the atmosphere, can measure things via manifold pressure and engine speed, so you can chase the air out.

Something to that effect...
Old 03-20-2004, 03:47 PM
ZLP

Originally posted by C4TT
I asked a friend, and here is what he said:
In certain cars, like the BMWs, the air flow meter needs to read a certain amount of air flowing through the system. The air being recirculated is going back into the system before the supercharger, not into the manifold. So there is no overboost...
So if this air was pumped out of the system, the car would stall.

Other cars which vent to the atmosphere, can measure things via manifold pressure and engine speed, so you can chase the air out.

Something to that effect...
Venting to the atmosphere will not make you stall. Venting too much to the atmosphere will, that is why they are adjustable.

Quick Reply: Updated my web page 700hp 930