911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

new 930 owner - need answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:51 PM
79930turbo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 930 owner - need answers

I just purchased my 1st Porsche, 1979 930 turbo, and I need some advice. the car is completely stock.

1. What type of exhaust system should I install to get more horses and that will give the car a deep throaty sound? I love the sound of my friends Borla, but the local Porsche shop installs a lot of GHL products. Need opinions.

2. What brand and type of tires should I put on this car? I never drive in inclament weather, so wet traction is not an issue. I live in Oklahoma with warm weather most of the year.

3. Should the brakes squeek? I've been told they will a little.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes will squeak if they have an aggressive or race pad installed.

You could pop the pads out and put some anti-seize on the backing plate of the pad, but it probably wouldn't help much.

Tires - Michelin Pilot Sports maybe? I don't know, I haven't bought street tires in years for my car. only slicks...

Brian
Old 02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Heard nothing but good things on the GHL. Heard similar on B&B. Cant go wrong with either but I hear GHL buying experience and help has been a little better.

Still dreaming of the Imagine Auto 400hp upgrade myself.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:11 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have the headers on the 930, but I'm told that they are the best upgrade you can do to a turbo. If you look imagineauto has a sale on the GHL units for rennlist members. I have had good experience with GHL on my 996, the staff is friendly and the quality of the mufflers are excellent. The borlas are quite loud IMO, I don't know about the GHL on the 930's but they promise you'll like them or you can return them. I did put a BB muffler for a SC modified to the 930 and it was awfully loud. I took it off.

As far as tire I use bridgestone S03's they handle well in the rain and at the track, they are not too pricey (tirerack) they last descent. The only negative is that they have road noise, but all MAX performance tire do.

I would check the breaks if they make noise. If they are not OE pads and racing pad they do, but they should not make noise unless they are low or the rotors are warped. Good luck on your new toy and have lots of fun with it.

Quick Reply: new 930 owner - need answers