Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Considering Adding a 930 Slantnose (factory)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering Adding a 930 Slantnose (factory)

Greetings! Currently enjoying a 993 and 991.1 GTS...toying with investing in an '88 930 Cab Slantnose (factory) M505. Sourcing from a private collector who did restoration of a 2 owner (he's the 3rd) 39K mile driver in 2006 (to the metal re-paint; new carpet, top; modern turbo; headers; dual exhaust; cams; some head work, and tune). Shows 46K miles, now. I can talk 993 values all day across the model lineup--but, I know nothing about 930's (other than Cab's appear to be less loved $ here as in the 993's). Any insights from my RL brethren in this Forum would be much appreciated. Feel free to take a shot at suggesting value range, too, if interested. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
Greetings! Currently enjoying a 993 and 991.1 GTS...toying with investing in an '88 930 Cab Slantnose (factory) M505. Sourcing from a private collector who did restoration of a 2 owner (he's the 3rd) 39K mile driver in 2006 (to the metal re-paint; new carpet, top; modern turbo; headers; dual exhaust; cams; some head work, and tune). Shows 46K miles, now. I can talk 993 values all day across the model lineup--but, I know nothing about 930's (other than Cab's appear to be less loved $ here as in the 993's). Any insights from my RL brethren in this Forum would be much appreciated. Feel free to take a shot at suggesting value range, too, if interested. Thanks!
Color options etc?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Not sure what specific Porsche color it is, but in general, it's a midnight blue (top, too)...I will be seeing the car in person tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea on the options.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:10 AM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Default Update

OK...I saw the car in person today. Looks terrific. However, with the re-paint, they removed the build sticker under the frunk lid...so, I don't know about factory options or original paint code. With 46K miles, seems like it's been a semi-Driver vs Total Garage Queen. There is normal wear on the seat bolsters, etc. So, I note a lot of folks have read the initial post...maybe now some folks will contribute their thoughts as to what I should look for/be concerned about, etc.--and give me some sense of value range? I am at a loss...asking prices for current 930's are all over the board. I know this has factory M506 going for it, and that current owner is a collector/gentleman racer (not with this one) who treats his cars right (and has owned this since 2006). I welcome any input! Thanks!

Has aftermarket wheels...but he has original Fuchs

To the metal repaint...new top

New carpet (interior is grey--even though photo looks tan)

See original post for engine item tweaks
Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts

Beautiful color. I own 3 of them. 2 Cabriolets and 1 Targa. The only thing I don't like are the rims. I prefer Ruf or Fuchs rims. I think the slantnose is the most beautiful Porsche ever made. I own 2 Carrera GTs but still rate the slantnose as the ultimate Porsche design.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGT000:
limegreen72 (06-30-2024), LvnTheDrm (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Wow--you're definitely a fan! Do you have any thoughts on a value range? I am really struggling to come up with a number that makes sense...Thanks.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Original warranty book should have a second copy of the option code sticker to verify authenticity and options. As for value, not sure total restoration adds much. Its good that it was done but someone will probably pay just as much for one that never needed the resto to begin with. By resto I mean anything outside of engine work -- engine work is sort of par for the course no matter the mileage.

Its not like they are building more slant cabs. Its a finite number of factory cars, along with probably just as many conversions of lesser value. I think condition drives the boat as always. That and a paper trail. Everything else usually rolls down hill from that. People spending six figures on a car want certainty and peace of mind in what they are buying.

The price could be anywhere from $125-175K. Im finding every 930 for sale to be its own unique animal anymore. One does not necessarily compare precisely to another. Geographic region matters, provenance or awards/commendation if any exist, ownership history, color combination, options, etc. And just running into the right buyer at the right time. You could put the same car for sale up 60 days apart and in one ad the best you might get is a $115K offer. In the next one its $155K. It really depends on who is looking at the car at that exact moment, if two really want it bad at the same time, and if someone is dying for a specific spec or color and refuses to entertain any other kind of 930 for sale.

In general I believe 505s will command a 15% premium everything else being equal. And a Slant Cab probably 20-25%. So if the car was a standard Turbo and it was worth $125K which is totally possible, the Slant Cab would make it $156.25K. If its a MY1989, add another 10% once more. Again, these are just general rules of thumb. These are old dinosaur hand built cars. Every one is a different force of nature on the used car market. Ive seen cars with 140,000 miles that look like they had 15,000 miles on them, and others with 15,000 miles that looked like 150,000-mile roached out jalopies.

First rule is always buy what you want. Second rule is never fall in love with something that cant love you back. Third rule is remind yourself theres always another car for sale if you remain patient. I looked at 7 930s in person and drove 4 before I settled on the one I found. Never stop listening to what your gut tells you. If it doesnt feel right or feel like its "the one", it isnt. When you see "the one", you know you're driving it home NO MATTER WHAT. Its just a question of how much its gonna scrub your wallet clean.
The following users liked this post:
LvnTheDrm (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:22 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Very hard to put a number on the car. The ones with no paint work demand a nice premium. I love the color of the car but it being not original paint turns me off. I was offered $200k for my guards red 89 Cab with 26k miles but fully serviced. I am sure the guy would have gone up on the offer but I told him I am not selling any of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGT000:
LvnTheDrm (08-18-2019), usrodeo4 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Wow--thanks for your reply! Really appreciate your observations...on point! Definitely a little bummed to note your take that it's not an original color (I wasn't sure)...I find myself putting myself in the position of being the Seller of this car at some point moving forward (maybe many years down the road!)--and having to explain the items that I KNOW detract from the value: repaint (in non-original color); headers; Cabriolet, etc. I personally love the car--but do not have the kind of financial means where taking a big bath on this in the future is something I could absorb easily. It feels somewhat special to me that it's being offered by a friend who isn't actually actively marketing it for sale--which is why I'm also reluctant to point out the items that I feel detract from the value he's seeking (under $200K--though he's noted ones for sale at $225K+. Tough to find actual Sale Price data!). Also--just heard an update of Monterey auctions...and the sell-through rates across the board were pretty low. Indicator of...? Thanks for your input...
The following users liked this post:
WhiteHotPepper (11-02-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:39 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Thanks for your comments! My original reply to your quote actually got mixed with the response below yours...
Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your comments! My original reply to your quote actually got mixed with the response below yours...
What is the asking price?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Originally Posted by CGT000
What is the asking price?
I don't mean to be evasive--but, it's possible the price he's offered it to me for represents a "friend discount" in his mind-and if he were to put it on the open market at some point (if I don't buy), I wouldn't want my disclosure of the price to affect his potential future sale efforts. I know it may seem a little one-way asking for people's thoughts on value, and yet not wanting to disclose seller's asking price. Sorry about that. Appreciate your help.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:23 AM
mr. rpm
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You mentioned invest....This is not an investment grade example.....
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Default SLantose

Agreed! I have some Amazing Slantnoses too.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

I have an SE coupe that I'm going to sell soon. PM me...

Quick Reply: Considering Adding a 930 Slantnose (factory)