911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

G 50 52 info needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Akimbeau
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G 50 52 info needed...

Hello! I'm building a Ford GT40 replica and am using a Porsche G50 52 transaxle. It seems my reverse switch mechanism inside the trans is not working properly. When I shift into reverse the pin that inserts into the switch should move away from the trans and actuate the reverse switch. It doesn't move when put into reverse. The transaxle was new 12 years ago and modified to work in a mid-engine vehicle. The differential was changed, it was plumbed for external oil circulation and the 1st and 2nd shift forks were replaced with stronger ones. The trans was not installed after the mods and sat until I purchased it for this project. Can someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the G50 52 advise me on this? Could some part have been left out or mis-installed inside the trans during the process of the modifications that could cause the reverse switch pin not to move? Could the wrong length pin have been installed? I'm hoping a G50 52 guru will appear and tell me a simple fix for this problem. I have a sexy reverse light I built and the reverse switch also supplies power to a back-up camera system I've installed. Because it is a cable shift mechanism, a separate external switch will be difficult to engineer. Thanks for your help!

Kim
Old 08-01-2019, 04:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Go to Pelican. More knowledge over there.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Akimbeau
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I tried over there first but couldn't get the site to authorize me. I might have to try a different email address or something. Not sure what's gumming up the works.

Kim