911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Flat930
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler

After a year or two of high temperatures in my Flatnose cab (even in europe) I discovered today that it does have a fan (but probably hasn't worked in the 8+ years that I've owned the car). This is mounted at the base of the cooler in the right rear fender (as opposed to the middle of the cooler as I've seen on '89 cars). I've attached the fan to a battery and it works, but in the car no joy. I've tried bridging the 30/85 terminals in the relay but still doesn't work. Can anyone please tell me what else to try as most of the troubleshooting guides consists of the slow/fast operation of the fan (mine's wired for fast only, probably 'cos it isn't in the most efficient place in the rear fender).

In hot european weather this car (in traffic) goes up to 270. Can't believe this is normal (as it was a Florida car originally and I'm sure it's hotter there than in France).

My rear bumper also gets really hot (reg plate starting to melt and you can't touch the bumper) above the turbo/muffler. Anyone have any ideas how best to shield this/drop temps?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a new thermoswitch and make sure the unit is grounded properly.

I've also added a manual overide switch on mine for grins.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2004, 09:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Are you sure you have power running to the relay?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:39 AM
justkickenit
Instructor

Speaking of temps. What is normal running temprature supposed to be? I have the stock gauge so I don't have numbers. But yesterday i was driving mine and the temp got past the second marker, to about 9:30 on the temp gauge. Is that OK? Maybe I should invest in one of those coolers with the fan.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Flat930
AutoX

Anthony, you're right, no power to pin 30. The fan will work if I supply power to this and then a jumper to 87. I've tried fuse #2 and that's OK (Even pulled it and the seat motors stop so it is taking power).

It seems that somewhere back of the fusebox from fuse 2 to pin 30 there's a problem. I've tried pulling the fuseboard away from the wing as far as it will go but it's pretty tight back there and all the cables to the relay are wrapped anyway.

Has anyone any ideas? I don't want to fiddle too much and find I've knackered something else. Thanks in anticipation. Gray.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Flat930
AutoX

Now I'm confused! Done a little more checking and jumping 86 & 87 together will cause the fan to run, but only with the ignition on. Is this wired correctly or, as usual, are the flatnose cars different again? How do you get to the back of the relay itself to change or add wiring? Thanks again....

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler