911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I'm I being Rude!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I'm I being Rude!!

A couple of miles over in the next town is a 965 sitting on someone's front yard under some trees. These people have about 3 acres so it's really not crimping their view, or for that matter, foot/ street traffic. It is close to their 3 car garage, but the car has not move for at least 3 years that I'm aware of.

It's a nice vehicle... red, tan leather, custom exhaust and twist wheels (don't think that was std)... for now, but how much longer?

Do you guys believe I would be rude to find out "Wuz-Up". It could be something benign like the engine fried and they left it there, or maybe a family member died and they left it there!!

I'm pleased with my '86 930, but I hear great things about the 965. If it's just been parked and neglected for 3-5 years, came it come back to life without another $10-15 grand sunk in?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:40 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

No its not rude. Go ask.

Similar story with this guy at work. My dad has a jet black Lexus GS430 with 18" chrome 5-spokes on it. First year of the navigation system I think too. Its a butter car as far as Lexus go. Anyway, dude about 45 yrs/old drives up and enters the office. He asks for the owner of that car. My dad meets him and he says if you ever sell the car, call him first. It was on a lease, so the old man tells him when the lease is up. The lease is now up in about 2 months. The guy has called no less than four times on the car asking if my dad is gonna turn it in, keep it, or what, and if he turns it in, to let him know ASAP because he will arrange to buy it from Lexus before he actually turns it back in.

The guy has a ***** for this car. Point is, if you want a car, stalk it like fire melting the ***** off a brass monkey. Most people will be flattered you care and would rather it go to someone who appreciates it than some schmuck who doesnt know anything about the car.

Any 965 sitting without a friend, to me, is worse than a Greek tragedy. If nothing else, it deserves a warm cozy garage and a nice diaper if its not bring driven.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't ask, you'll see it there day after day and think what if...

Then one day it will be gone and you'll always wonder what happened to it.

Go ask tomorrow!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Gino
Racer

Actually, that was the plan. It's been so horrible (weather wise) up here in Boston; finally tomorrow will be nice (sunny around 30) to drive over in the 930 after it's been sitting for 2 weeks.

I'll keep you posted if the car or the owner died!!

Any clue on bringing it back to life if only been sitting?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:42 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Take some photos. I want to see where this thing has been sitting!!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:51 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

dude go for it. It's not rude. My dad had a guy drive up to our house to ask if he could buy my dad's model t's. Another guy asked if he could buy our HOUSE for 4 million dollars - it wasn't even up for sale!! You're not being rude - go for it! And post some pictures.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:25 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually done this a few times. The first time I was in High School. I went into a business and asked abt a car sitting in the parking lot. I ended up buying a '70 Dodge Charger R/T w/ a 440 Magnum for $450.00! There ARE bargains around - the trick is if belongs to someone who doesn't really know what they have.
Here's my advice -
- Don't go over there in your 930 - they'll think you have a lot of money to blow.
- Have a max $ you'd spend already in your head. Always start way low - you can always offer more. Ready money might close the deal before they have chance to ponder...
- Have a "Aw shucks" indifferent attitude, so you don't give away you're interest and/or P-car knowlege. Try to convey that money in their hand is better than a car in their front yard.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Red UFO
Nordschleife Master

I agree don't show up in a 930 or the price goes up.

I got in a wreck last year and my truck parked at my house all smashed up. Believe it or not I got knocks on the door 2-3 per week from people wanting to buy it? I have no idea why but my record is 3 knocks in 1 day. It seems the more smashed up the truck gets the more desireable it is. Every body panel is dented or smashed but people around here seem to want it.

Before I got in the wreck people at stop lights always asked me if I wanted to sell it and its a POS before I wrecked it. Go figure.

Its not being rude to ask, it compliments the owner that what he thinks may be junk, is someone elses treasure. Make sure you take a few pics.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Red UFO
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Red UFO
I agree don't show up in a 930 or the price goes up.

I got in a wreck last year and my truck parked at my house all smashed up. Believe it or not I got knocks on the door 2-3 per month from people wanting to buy it? I have no idea why but my record is 3 knocks in 1 day. It seems the more smashed up the truck gets the more desireable it is. Every body panel is dented or smashed but people around here seem to want it.

Before I got in the wreck people at stop lights always asked me if I wanted to sell it and its a POS before I wrecked it. Go figure.

Its not being rude to ask, it compliments the owner that what he thinks may be junk, is someone elses treasure. Make sure you take a few pics.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it man!

I did the same thing about 2 years ago in waaaayyyyy south Louisiana. I was driving by this trailer and I saw an old '63 Corvette Stingray just sitting in the back yard. I later learned that the car had been sitting there for 10 years...while walking back to see it (with the owner of the trailer) I noticed a '58 Vette sitting in an old shed.

Needless to say, he was unwilling to part with either. Who knows??? I think that they are still sitting back there...

I guess my point is that you will never know unless you ask. Hell, what do you have to loose? - And if you have the opportunity to get a 935 at a good price, you have everything to gain!!!!

Good luck man, and let us know what happens!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

what's with RedUFO quoting himself. i mean, who does that?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Whats with bringing up a 7 year old thread for no reason? I mean, who does that?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

What happened with the car??
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
what's with RedUFO quoting himself. i mean, who does that?
He f*cking means it yo....

Quick Reply: I'm I being Rude!!