911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'79 930 from a '00 996 C4...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 02:52 PM
phattey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 930 from a '00 996 C4...

I sold my '00 996 C4 3 weeks ago with the intent to get into something like a '97/'98 C2S.

However, today I stumbled on a car that has my attention.

1979 930 with 35, 000 miles. Original paint and interior are very good.

Strange color...kinda' a goldish color, with matching leather, which dosen't show much wear at all.

2nd owner, who I'm dealing with, bought it in '96 for 31K.

I really need an education on this monster and have been researching "stuff". But since I'm a Rennlist member I thought you guys would be able to help me out.

Are there any specific things to watch out for? What should I focus on when preparing to purchase? Is this model year desireable? Does this model year break more than others?

Thanks guys...any input would really help out...

Phattey...
Old 12-30-2003, 03:07 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

A 79 930 is a way different car than a 996 or 993. In stock form it will be slower, not handle as well, be less comfortable, lack normal creature comforts like good AC, good windshield wipers, good stereo, etc. It is a 25 year old car and thus there are many things that can go out merely due to age. That said, many people would tell you that this is a great year for the 930 (the last "official" year for the U.S. 930). What do you plan to use the car for? Daily driver, track work, weekend fun?
Old 12-30-2003, 03:36 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I find the 930 to be like an old Austin Healey or something. Part of the charm is that part of it sucks (ZCATs mention of A/C, stereo, etc). No doubt a 993/996 has 25 years of new engineering into it which is why they are better all around cars. The 930 is kind of like the first mass produced supercar though. Nothing looks like it or ever will. The good news is if youve got some extra cash, modifying an old turbo can be a great adventure compared to a 993/996 non turbo. Gobs of power there as long as you keep writing checks. The car drives like its 25yrs old because it is though. Even my 88 feels like its 25yrs old. Its 97% the same car and same technology from 1975. But thats the fun. Thats the allure. Its raw. Its there to drive fast -- everything else is ornamental. Such narrow-mindedness is why I love it and hate it all in the same breath.

Who are we really kidding though. One look at the rear end of a 930 is all it really takes for anybody. That alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:30 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto with UDpride. There were changes from 79 to 86 when the turbo was re-introduced. I believe in 86 there were more restrictive emissions put on the car that robbed it of some power. 87 was the first year for the new G50 transmission, and then in 89 the G5050 transmission was introduced making the car a 5-speed.

I bought my 87 as a weekend fun/occasional track car. I wanted something raw that had more ***** than I did with tuning potential. But to echo UDpride, one look at the flared rear fenders and your hooked.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

I think the best thing for you to do at this point is find a Rennlister with a 77-79 / 86-89 turbo who will give you a ride - a "see for yourself, first hand experience" with these fine machines. Then you can see for yourself some of the differences between your C4 and the Turbo.

Then you should ask the owner (and any other Rennlisters interested in piping in) about maintenance costs. ZCAT alludes to an issue you should not take lightly - maintenance costs of a 25 year old car. It will have things that will wear out - some will cost not very much to replace. Other items may cost a bunch. A couple of years ago I replaced about $2,500 worth of (parts and labor) worn belts, hoses, and pulleys in my '89 930.

IMO, there is no finer car than a Turbo Porsche. But realize that the pride of such ownership DOES come with a (maintenance) cost.

You'll also want to find the best mechanic you can - one who has spent years working on the model you will purchase. There are tons of Porsche mechanics. There are NOT a ton of good Turbo mechanics.

Have fun.

Dan
Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

I was looking at 84-89 carrera's before I rode in a fellow PCA members 79 930. One ride and I was hooked. Theres nothing like an old turbo. Their unique, fun to drive, and they get more attention than just about any other Porsche. You won't be disapointed. Some will disagree, but I wouldn't buy it for everyday transportation. One correction on the above stats, 75-88 930's came with a type(930) 4spd, and 89's came with the G5050 5spd. I belive the carrera got the G50(a weaker tranny than a G5050) in 87. 79 is a great year, it also came with the euro fuel system unlike the fuel system on the 86-89 cars. The euro system is capable of supporting more HP than the non euro system. The early cars are also a little lighter. Besides power seats in 86 and more emission controls, there really wern't any othe serios changes made to the cars between 78 and 88. The 89 got a hydraulic clutch as well as the 5spd.

Eric

79 930
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has never been another car that says, "why don't you go f yourself before I bitch slap you" like one of those things. Even a Viper parked next to one looks like it's little sister, and don't even get me started on woosy Japanese-looking cars like the z06 or 996.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:43 AM
phattey
Instructor

All good points to consider and I agree with them all..

Realizing that the '79 930 isn't as "luxo" as my 996 and ceratinly not as "civalized", I still crave that raw Porsche feel.

I've been probably too obsessed with Pcars all my life, and even though the 996 was fun, reliable, comfortable, it simply didn't satisfy my core desire to possess an older "real" Pcar...

I understand and would completely accept it's shortcomings, because to me those are it's personality. If I wanted sterile perfection, I'd probably go with a Lexus(ugh!). But since I've got enough kid in me to last 2 lifetimes, I need personality, heritage and throw in "fast".

Sitting in my 996 was nice....full leather, modern, all that...but when I sat in that extremely good condition 930...I felt I was home. Need I say more?

Thanks for the input....you guys will be the 1st to know if I pull the trigger...

Phattey...
Old 12-31-2003, 01:34 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Youll love the 930. I actually think the 964 Turbos are a great middle ground on these things. A lot of the same lines as the original 930 -- softened just enough though -- with more power, better handling, and an interior thats 5 times better in terms of function and practicality. With improvement however you lose a little of the charm I suppose from the original. Id like to have both parked in my driveway. With a 993TT too just for ****s and grins of course.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Hey UDPride - a couple of OT questions, if I may:

1) Did you know that everyone in this world is born right-handed? It's only the great ones who can overcome it! :-)

2) I've had a couple people (PCar owner as well as WRX owners) tell me their WRX is a total kick in the pants - fantastic handling and awesome power (considering the weight). Care to share your thoughts (to a 97 993tt owner who may be interested in adding a WRX or Evolution EVO to his stable)?

Happy New Year.

Dan
Old 12-31-2003, 02:01 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

WRX is a good car. Its built like a typical $25,000 Jap car so you just arent going to get BMW craftsmanship. Its reliable though and the turbo on it really gives the car some quicks. Unbelieveable how it accelerates in the rain. Unfortunately I messed mine up last night on the drive home from work. I hit a big box (or dog) or something in the road not long after I pulled out of the parking lot while I was thumbing for the heat. Cracked my front spoiler and KOd my right fog light. Im not happy about it. Whatever I hit was the size of a 35 inch TV. There wasnt a car within 300yds in front of me which is why I thought nothing of it to look down a couple seconds and go after some heat and turn on the tunes. Who the hell leaves something like that in the road.

Anyway. Its a good car. Unstoppable in the rain. Good in the snow. Very comfy as a daily commuter which is how I use it. Youll have to invest in some better tires though -- the stock ones are terrible. Budget $1600 for some 17 rims and rubber and youll be set. If its not enough you cant go wrong with the EVO or STi. Each side has their backers. I prefer Subarus AWD system. EVO is equally good car, just different. As long as you know you are buying mostly engine in these things and not refinement or luxury, you wont be disappointed.

Ill let you drive my WRX if you let me have the keys to the 993TT. I promise to bring it back. Trust me.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

UD: Thanks for your thoughts on the "rockets".

Don't know that I'll be in OH any time soon (and probably not with the 993tt), but anytime you're in the San Jose area, let me know - I'd be more than happy to let you take the 993tt for a drive. Having owned an '89 930 3.4 for four years, I know you'd appreciate and enjoy the 993tt.

Dan
Old 01-01-2004, 02:38 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, if you're looking for that ilk and want to stay in the "family" you might consider the VW Golf R32 for $29,100. It's a n/a 240 hp v6 and awd. For some reason VW is giving an estimate for 0-60 at 6.4, which is very conservative considering their earlier smaller v6 was in the 5's. I haven't seen any official magazine tests yet.

If you get the horsepower lust later, there's a tuner that's already hung a couple turbos on one. It's about 400 hp at the wheels and did 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. You read that right - Carrera GT territory.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Thanks P4B. Do you happen to know the price to do the twin turbo upgrade (not that I'm going to do it, but more out of curiosity, if you know what I mean)?

3.2 seconds IS pretty amazing - however, I think I'd feel much more comfortable doing it in the GT than in the VW!! :-)

Dan

Quick Reply: '79 930 from a '00 996 C4...