911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Auto Bodyshop woes. Need opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:06 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto Bodyshop woes. Need opinion

Five months ago, my 911 underwent a complete paint restoration including new seals and rubbers. All parts came off for body work and to be painted separately. They promised 3 months and be done by thanksgiving. Today, it's still not done, however its 99% complete. Front spoiler, sunroof, rear window and other minor things needs to be installed. Although it does not look like much, they work on other cars as well and took them a week just to install the rockers and part of the rear deck.

I lost patience with this bodyshop a long time ago and I was debating on picking up the car and finish it myself if i can save $300-$500 of labor. Will this move be a good idea or have them finish it but who know how long that would take.

Any feedback?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:28 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally would go get it. Most body shops operate this way and its simply a shame. I have always done my own restorations because I did the same thing you did. It took the guy 2 years and it was crap. The metal work was unreal, the painting I redid right after he did. I was so happy to have the car back I didn't care. I just wanted it back.

FWIW 5 months for an overall is not that long. Normally it takes a good 8 months for everything. That is if its not your only job and it was a down to metal and back up.

If you can do the stuff that is left, go get it and finish it.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:05 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Thanks Stephan. Wow 2 years and was not perfect! Was that on your yellow monster? I feel the same way about having it back. I installed the 7200 turbo I bought from you a month ago while the bumper was out. It still has not spooled to this day. I'm modifying my car based on your previous yellow slant nose.

Yeah, they chemically stipped it to bare metal. But there was countless days it sat while on bare metal. I made sure they sanded the haze of rust before applying the epoxy primer.

I value your opinion and I'm probably able to get help from local PCA members to lend a hand to put the car back together. My only problem is finding the parts in his bin. He took it apart and only he knows how to put it together.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:58 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, Monster I did from ground Zero. This was one of my first 911s. This was actually a 72 RSR spec car I had named Kermit. It needed extensive metal work. The guy was a wizard with the welder, a dunce with the paint gun. I have been painting since I was 10 so I know what to look for. At the time I dropped the car of I was travling a lot (sales) and didn't have the time or place to do it. In 2 years a lot changed.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:09 PM
Randy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lucky enough here in Seattle to have a shop called Eurotech. I did a 73 RS clone last year. I delivered the pan to them after being media blasted. They welded the flares on, did extensive cut/replace repair etc, and a complete beautiful paint job, all in 20 days. There have been times when I dropped off a panel and they have it finished the next day. These guys are the exception to the general rule in this trade though. I think it has something to do with the left/right brain conflict, you know, the creative vs. the productive thing. I also have a friend that had a 996 in a body shop for over a year. There was no way to get the guy to do the work. My advice to you is to pick up the car now, no matter what the condition, and ask around for references for a place that deserves your business. I think it is not unreasonable to articulate your experiences very specifically, including the shop name to help them get out of business. You will not be happy in the end even if the car turns out well if you let those jerks walk on you. For sure don't give them any (more) money up front if possible, that's really the only card you may have. My two cents....
Old 12-28-2003, 11:32 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Eurotec fixed my baby after getting it in the rear. They do great work.

John from WA
'79 930
Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

20 days! That's almost unheard off. I know what you mean about being unhappy about the whole process. Right now, my overall experience with this shop is horrible. I will talk to them tomorrow and see what I can do.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:09 PM
gsxrken
Advanced

These stories abound for bodyshop experiences. I recently lived this too. It's like staying with a stock or fund that has slipped significantly so you hold on longer than you should hoping for the turnaround. And our Pcar decisions get so freakin' emotional you probably think you have a relationship with the guy or you wouldn't have let him have it in the first place.
Get it out now. I did and found another shop that did a great job.

Quick Reply: Auto Bodyshop woes. Need opinion