911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Pre Purchase Inspection in Greenwich, CT

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:57 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Purchase Inspection in Greenwich, CT

Interested in Purchasing 1989 930 Cabriolet from Carriage House Motor Cars in Greenwich, CT. I'm Looking for a reputable mechanic to go to the dealer and perform a comprehensive PPI, including a compression and leak down test. The dealer has agreed to the use of the facility for this. Can anyone recommend someone in the Greenwich, CT area?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

You have one of the best Porsche shops in the country in your state. Dan Jacobs.
http://www.danieljacobsllc.com/

Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

Thank you! I will reach out Monday Morning. I live in South Florida, and need a solid PPI before i invest 6 figures in this car.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

I would say that if you’re going to spend that kind of money, then you really want a proper PPI. Spend a little money, have them trailer the car to the shop or flat bed. It is worth it.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:02 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

I offered to pay for that but they refused to. They would make their facility available for my mechanic. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with Carriage House Motor cars?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

You could google the owner.
That usually tells you all you need to know about a small company.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:51 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@UM930T: We have a great air-cooled Porsche tech located just north of NYC! He could travel out to Carriage House, perform a full PPI + compression/leakdown, and take the car for a test drive. Let me know if I can help. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Not allowing the car to go to a shop with the stellar reputation of Dan Jacobs for a PPI would give me pause.
Anyway...........For a 20k mile car the cooling fan and housing looks a bit worse for wear. I also don't understand why they they wouldn't show a better picture of the drivers seat which should look amazing on a 20k mile car. Also has non stock exhaust.

Love that color.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Not allowing the car to go to a shop with the stellar reputation of Dan Jacobs for a PPI would give me pause.
Anyway...........For a 20k mile car the cooling fan and housing looks a bit worse for wear. I also don't understand why they they wouldn't show a better picture of the drivers seat which should look amazing on a 20k mile car. Also has non stock exhaust.

Love that color.
I second that. Last time I heard of someone refusing to bring a car to Dan was Richard Sloan and that deal turned out to be a disaster.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:26 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

Thank you very much for your responsses. I'm contemplating a couple of options on next steps with this car. The 1989 930 Cab red and black or red and Tan has been the car that I've always wanted but couldn't afford untill now. My intention is to fully restore te car to it's originality, and keep it for 20 years or so. I really appreciate the heads up on the cooling fan/housing and non stock exhaust. I will also ask for additional pics of the front seats. I will update once I've made my decision. Thank YOU!!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:58 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I second that. Last time I heard of someone refusing to bring a car to Dan was Richard Sloan and that deal turned out to be a disaster.
this
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM
maineman
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Love that color.
I rarely post on this forum, but am constantly amazed by the knowledge of the members. However, figured I'd chime in on this one. First, I personally know the owner of Carriage House and have bought and sold several cars from him over the years. His name is Michael Schudroff. He's about as straight as they come. Second, I believe the car the OP is referring to is the '89 Turbo Cab Red/Black which appears to have an original exhaust and pretty clean engine, not the Baltic Blue '86 Turbo Coupe that has a non-standard exhaust. Having said that, I know nothing about either car. Just my 2 cents......
Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by maineman
I rarely post on this forum, but am constantly amazed by the knowledge of the members. However, figured I'd chime in on this one. First, I personally know the owner of Carriage House and have bought and sold several cars from him over the years. His name is Michael Schudroff. He's about as straight as they come. Second, I believe the car the OP is referring to is the '89 Turbo Cab Red/Black which appears to have an original exhaust and pretty clean engine, not the Baltic Blue '86 Turbo Coupe that has a non-standard exhaust. Having said that, I know nothing about either car. Just my 2 cents......
Nice looking car and I could be wrong but I was under the impression the Blaupunkt "Ventura" wasn't used till the 964. Anyway it would probably show it on the window sticker.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I used to work next door to Carriage House Motors. I would go in there once a month to take a look around. They were always very friendly and never got any bad vibe from the place. Occasionally they would give me a tour of the back room and what they were working on.

I have never bought a car from them, but I would clearly expect them to let me take a car for a PPI. Maybe the issue of you being in Florida and the mechanics of getting the car to Dan Jacobs or another location is an issue.

Regardless, they are a dealer of second hand cars so you need to be thorough. Another place in the general area that has a good reputation ( word of mouth from what I hear (i.e.(PCA), I've never...knock on wood, had to get my Porsches fixed by a third party.) is Speedsport Tuning in Danbury.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Nice looking car and I could be wrong but I was under the impression the Blaupunkt "Ventura" wasn't used till the 964. Anyway it would probably show it on the window sticker.
The Ventura was never used on the 964.

Quick Reply: Pre Purchase Inspection in Greenwich, CT