On the road again !!! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

On the road again !!!

Reply

Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 PM
  #1  
7930
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Default On the road again !!!


Picked up my car on Wednesday from the shop that worked on it. It was nearly 1 year and 1 month at the shop.
I was so excited to drive it home! Was a 42 mile drive. So awesome. Last time I drove the car was back in 1998
when my brother owned it. Bought it from him late 2002 not running,two broken head studs and massive oil leak.
I took the motor out in 2003 and started working on it. Unfortunately I got a new position at my job which required
a lot of traveling. It sat in the garage all apart until I joined rennlist. I had the itch again and started working on it,
unfortunately I got another job and didn't have time to work on the car again. Two years ago I decided to have a
shop complete it. I shopped around for a reputable shop and found one. Delivered the car to the shop last January.
But now I have it back, I'm so excited!
7930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
  #2  
rufrob
User
 
rufrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 378
Default

Sweet. Drive it like you stole it. A shop did my head studs about 10years ago. Their then apprentice set the timing wrong and blew out the head gaskets and rings so the shop let me do it over. I was lucky they let me watch the first time so after doing research with the chief mechanic guidance I did it all by myself. I didn't get the clutch fork aligned so out it came again. Now I can remove the engine in 30mins.
Now the 930 is my 3rd car and isn't driven much which causes new problems. Corrosion on terminals. The 930 is still way more rewarding to drive than my 996tt. And relatively trouble free.
rufrob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  #3  
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member
 
MUSSBERGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Down on Penny's farm
Posts: 18,577
Default

Excellent! I guess good things really do come to he who waits. Happy air cooled turbocharged motoring.
MUSSBERGER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM
  #4  
Porsche 930
User
 
Porsche 930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 2 O'clock in the Continental US
Posts: 253
Default

Congrats on persisting to put an awesome looking early 930 back on the road! Hope your new ride gives you many special moments.
Show more pictures, and let us know some thoughts went you get some seat time.
.
Porsche 930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM
  #5  
7930
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by rufrob View Post
Sweet. Drive it like you stole it. A shop did my head studs about 10years ago. Their then apprentice set the timing wrong and blew out the head gaskets and rings so the shop let me do it over. I was lucky they let me watch the first time so after doing research with the chief mechanic guidance I did it all by myself. I didn't get the clutch fork aligned so out it came again. Now I can remove the engine in 30mins.
Now the 930 is my 3rd car and isn't driven much which causes new problems. Corrosion on terminals. The 930 is still way more rewarding to drive than my 996tt. And relatively trouble free.
I know now that letting it sit there even though garaged, if it isn't running it's corroding. Aside from the motor being rebuilt, in order for it to run, the shop ended up flushing the fuel tank,replacing both fuel pumps,fuel filter,accumulator and fuel lines. Additionally,I asked them to go ahead and replace all high pressured lines like brake lines and oil lines. The cost just kept piling up. The module was out as well.
7930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 AM
  #6  
7930
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER View Post
Excellent! I guess good things really do come to he who waits. Happy air cooled turbocharged motoring.
It's been a long time coming!
7930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 AM
  #7  
7930
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by Porsche 930 View Post
Congrats on persisting to put an awesome looking early 930 back on the road! Hope your new ride gives you many special moments.
Show more pictures, and let us know some thoughts went you get some seat time.
.
My drive home was fun, when the turbo kicked in especially when I was on third it was a blast.

Here is a short video of the first initial start after engine was installed.


Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0875.MOV (2.69 MB, 43 views)
7930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM
  #8  
freesaints
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 44
Default

Congrats, sounds like a long journey. Glad to hear you're back in her and driving again. That boost is a rush the first time (or first time after a long hiatus) for sure!
freesaints is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the road again !!!


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: